Fan takes £108k after cashing out on Leicester City to win Premier League

It turns out quite a few people put money on Leicester City to win the Premier League title before a ball was kicked this season.

The Foxes narrowly avoided relegation to the Championship at the end of last term, replaced Nigel Pearson with Claudio Ranieri in the summer and made a few modest signings in the transfer market - including the acquisitions of Christian Fuchs, Robert Huth, Shinji Okazaki and N’Golo Kante.

Despite all that, however, Leicester were still among the bookmakers’ favourites to go down.

Priced at 5,000-1 to win the league, most sane people couldn’t have imagined it would genuinely be possible for the Foxes to finish above the Premier League’s big boys.

But it’s the insane few who have profited over recent weeks.

Punter wins £108,703.41

And now one football fan has won a record £108,703.41 after cashing out following Leicester’s 2-0 win over Sunderland on Sunday.

The unnamed punter placed £20 each-way with Sky Bet on Ranieri’s men to win the title back in August and stood to claim just over £133k if successful.

But after receiving a six-figure cash-out offer, the punter agreed to take the money and run with five matches remaining of the Premier League campaign.

Sky Bet's statement

"Backers of Leicester have faced a real head-scratcher over the last few weeks," Sky Bet's Sandro Di Michele commented.

"All these 1-0 wins and even their 2-0 win at Sunderland have come with moments of genuine alarm and I must say bravo to this customer for seeing it through for so long.

"Presumably the punter was keen to make sure they won six figures for their small each-way play and now that it's job done, they can relax and enjoy the rest of the season."

Should he have held on?

The Leicester fan could have won another £25k had he held on for a few more weeks - but £108k is, of course, still a life-changing sum of money.

Tottenham remain seven points behind Leicester following their impressive 3-0 win over Manchester United at the weekend and will be ready to capitalise on any slip-ups.

But Leicester will be crowed champions of England if they secure back-to-back victories over West Ham and Swansea at the King Power Stadium over the next 11 days, followed by a win over the Red Devils at Old Trafford on May 1.

They could win it earlier than May if Tottenham drop points in their next two fixtures against Stoke City and West Brom.

Was the punter right to cash out now - or should he have waited until the end of the season and pocketed another £25,000? Have your say by leaving a comment below.

http://www.givemesport.com/751085-fan-takes-108k-after-cashing-out-on-leicester-city-to-win-premier-league?autoplay=on&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Organic-Social&utm_campaign=Tribute-Pages-laika-III-1st-winner

One word - coward !

for a 40 quid bet and either 125k or 108k I challenge you to say "nah, let me ride this out".

I'm a gambler.... and I would have bitten their hand off for 108k !

• 3 weeks later...