Forrester Signs Contract Extension

A good addition. With Crooks & Windass arriving soon we're certainly not short now in MF.

Up front is where we really must strengthen next season

Harry is an "attacker" who can play anywhere in the front-three, as it is these days. You would want to have another power-house like Waghorn too, though. Someone who's always in and about the opposition's central defence, not all over the place. What we have lacked throughout the season is people takng on the responsibility to shot, which changed since Harry arrived. I take it that Windass also likes a shot, so the attacking department looks well filled, apart from a Waghorn-clone. Crooks is there to cover or play in the centre of defence.

Harry is an "attacker" who can play anywhere in the front-three, as it is these days. You would want to have another power-house like Waghorn too, though. Someone who's always in and about the opposition's central defence, not all over the place. What we have lacked throughout the season is people takng on the responsibility to shot, which changed since Harry arrived. I take it that Windass also likes a shot, so the attacking department looks well filled, apart from a Waghorn-clone. Crooks is there to cover or play in the centre of defence.

It isn't a Waghorn type player we need in the front 3. We need someone who is a prolific scorer. We don't have one of those. If we had one of those this season we would already be at 150 or 160 goals with all the chances we create.

It isn't a Waghorn type player we need in the front 3. We need someone who is a prolific scorer. We don't have one of those. If we had one of those this season we would already be at 150 or 160 goals with all the chances we create.

Possibly but a prolific scorer won't play in the way Waghorn or Miller do - i.e. dropping into deeper/wider positions and creating space for other attacking players to run into.

Each of our three attackers needs to be inter-changeable to make the system work. Fortunately, Waghorn and Miller have contributed several goals as well as their creative play from various areas of the pitch. Further, whenever they've went through less effective phases, we've struggled as Clark isn't quite as good at playing their role as he is more of a poacher.

Thus, signing a Boyd or a McCoist to name two of our more recent/better prolific scorers arguably wouldn't work. Yes, we do need someone that can finish more effectively but they won't come cheap when we consider their overall role. A Jelavic type player may be more agreeable but I'm not sure how well he'd fit into our system nowadays.

Generally though, I'd certainly agree the replacement for Clark is going to be a key signing so it's important we get it right.

Possibly but a prolific scorer won't play in the way Waghorn or Miller do - i.e. dropping into deeper/wider positions and creating space for other attacking players to run into.

Each of our three attackers needs to be inter-changeable to make the system work. Fortunately, Waghorn and Miller have contributed several goals as well as their creative play from various areas of the pitch. Further, whenever they've went through less effective phases, we've struggled as Clark isn't quite as good at playing their role as he is more of a poacher.

Thus, signing a Boyd or a McCoist to name two of our more recent/better prolific scorers arguably wouldn't work. Yes, we do need someone that can finish more effectively but they won't come cheap when we consider their overall role. A Jelavic type player may be more agreeable but I'm not sure how well he'd fit into our system nowadays.

Generally though, I'd certainly agree the replacement for Clark is going to be a key signing so it's important we get it right.

Prolific doesn't need to mean a poacher though Frankie. Messi is a prolific scorer and he drops deep plenty. By prolific I mean someone that knows where the goal is and takes most of his chances, including many of the half-chances.

Waghorn has a ton of goals this season, but you wouldn't call him prolific, certainly not if you took his penalty goals out of the equation.

Prolific doesn't need to mean a poacher though Frankie. Messi is a prolific scorer and he drops deep plenty. By prolific I mean someone that knows where the goal is and takes most of his chances, including many of the half-chances.

Waghorn has a ton of goals this season, but you wouldn't call him prolific, certainly not if you took his penalty goals out of the equation.

Sure but there's a reason why Messi is the best player in the world and worth hundreds of millions - because he is prolific in that role. Not many players can offer goals with creative play from deep and I agree Waghorn isn't prolific enough but he has impressed me with his contribution.

Thus, if we could secure someone of a similar style and standard, I'd be quite happy - especially for the peanuts we got Waggy for. However I suspect we'll have to pay a bit more for the player we want/need though it will be interesting to see if we go for a first XI player given the form of McKay, Miller and Waghorn this season. You'd expect Miller not to be first choice but we all thought that this season too and he's been inspirational by and large, especially since Waggy got injured.

I think we'll find it tricky to find someone who fits the bill. As has been stated, a traditional 'striker' is not going to cut it; we someone a little more creative. Hardie is clearly prolific, but Warburton obviously thinks there is something missing -- and you can see it. It's more beneficial for us to have 4, 5 players scoring a decent amount (10/15), than any one striker scoring 25+.

Sure but there's a reason why Messi is the best player in the world and worth hundreds of millions - because he is prolific in that role. Not many players can offer goals with creative play from deep and I agree Waghorn isn't prolific enough but he has impressed me with his contribution.

Thus, if we could secure someone of a similar style and standard, I'd be quite happy - especially for the peanuts we got Waggy for. However I suspect we'll have to pay a bit more for the player we want/need though it will be interesting to see if we go for a first XI player given the form of McKay, Miller and Waghorn this season. You'd expect Miller not to be first choice but we all thought that this season too and he's been inspirational by and large, especially since Waggy got injured.

I do find it strange that we are discussing that we don't have the right striker in a season that we have comfortably scored over 100 goals. That said, the caveat is obviously that we have done it in the 2nd tier and not the first.

Warburton managed to pick up players such as Waghorn and Forrester on a shoe-string budget to fit his playing system - there is no reason that we cant pick up a similar type of player who also can take more of their chances (this sounds like a slight on Waggy but it absolutely isn't - the big fella has been excellent for us this season) giving us more of a goalscoring threat.

The question is whether or not our front 6 (plus Wallace & Tavernier) can continue such scoring exploits in the top tier. Our front 3 would, normally, consist of Waghortn, McKay and Miller (this season anyway) - Miller has been in fine form but is just as likely to hit row z as he is to hit the back of the net, Waghorn has done a commendable job but also misses his share of chances and McKay seems to be lacking in the goalscoring charts (prefers to assist as have a go himself). Miller is aging so a replacement for him is necessary anyway and Clark, as you rightly said, isn't that type of player (Miller is because he was dropping off last season too, which Warburton clearly likes). So we definitely need someone else there - I would like to see us sign a striker that can drop off, hold the ball up, distribute and then find himself "at the right place at the right time" - we don't need a Messi, but I don't see why we shouldn't be able to get someone that can do that within our budget. Waghorn would be a good fit for the right side as he has proven and then McKay left side.

I think Miller's form since Waghorn has been injured should result in him being given the opportunity to cement his place next season - but we should certainly be looking at signing someone in the event that his age catches up with him.

No doubt, Forrester has skill and quick feet. He has an eye for a pass and has a decent dig that has seen a few important goals scored. Further, there has been a few impressive performances.

There is a but, I suspect getting and keeping him fit might be a problem. I know he did not see much action at Doncaster, I hope a full pre-season resolves my concerns?