No mass clear-out at Rangers, says Mark Warburton

MARK WARBURTON has told his players there will be no clear-out at Ibrox this summer.

Last year Hearts came up from the second tier as champions but jettisoned more than half of their players, with 16 of the 28 they used in the Championship gone.

Robbie Neilson’s new-look squad are third in the top flight and guaranteed a European place.

But Warburton believes he’d be making a mistake if he took that approach.

The Rangers gaffer said: “No, I don’t understand that. Everyone’s different. No disrespect to Hearts or Robbie, that’s their choice.

“But I think you have to recognise the quality you have in the squad.

“You always under-estimate teams that go up and over-estimate teams that go down. Always — that’s a fact.

“If people under-estimate Rangers going up, that’s great but we have a number of people in the squad we know can go to the next level.

“Our job is to supplement that with the four, five or six that we need to deal with the next level and make the impact we want.”

Yet Warbs warns fans they’re more likely to see unfamiliar faces.

He added: “You don’t necessarily have to pay huge fees. Sometimes you find a player and he’s x-amount of money and you need to pay that.

“Riyad Mahrez at Leicester is a great example. What was he, £400,000? What a piece of business.

“We were offered Jamie Vardy for a million quid from Fleetwood but couldn’t afford it so you don’t have to spend a fortune.

“If Rangers go to sign someone from Fleetwood, the fans would say ‘who’s he?’. But they said that about James Tavernier, Rob Kiernan and Wes Foderingham.

“If we can get players at the right level, then we’ll do that. I hope the fans will trust us.

“They are expectant and we understand that but I hope the performances of the guys they maybe hadn’t heard of before has given us a level of trust.

“We go for players we think can add value to Rangers.

“We never just add numbers. We’re rather be too light than be too heavy.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7029915/No-mass-clear-out-at-Rangers-says-Mark-Warburton.html

Templeton can still be useful, as he is exactly the type of player suited for MWs style of play. But he will have to prove his fitness big time to get a new contract. (Some were saying that he himself said that his contract won't be renewed though.) Not sure about the rest, but Clark looks like belonging to the Andy Little category, i.e. people who could do a job, but somehow you know it won't be at Rangers. Wouldn't mind keeping Shiels.

Don't think we need to see a mass clear out either there is 6 that need to go from the first team squad for me.

bell

aird

law

shiels

clark

templeton

I mostly agree with this list.

I'd be happy to see Shiels stay though. I think he has displayed a pretty good attitude even when we struggle. I also think that he has made a better contribution on the pitch this season.

I saw the third goal again (from Queens) and although Wilson did indeed turn his back on the shot, he was too far away to do anything about it; it was Halliday (throwing himself at nothing) and the other midfielder failing to close the space that was to blame IMO. If the midfield stay on their feet and close the space, the goal doesn't happen.

The second we conceded was just mentally switching off -- even then it was lucky to find the net.

Recently,we seem to be going from great ,to average,to poor,or vice versa all in the space of the 90 mins.

Concentration or the lack of it would be my guess. Well, at least we won,at this stage of the season this is the most important thing.Lets get over the finishing line.

There's no doubt one or two players seem to have put the tools away as the job is now more or less done.

It's unfortunate but that's what happens under these circumstances when you've got such a large lead in the league table.

Recently,we seem to be going from great ,to average,to poor,or vice versa all in the space of the 90 mins.

Concentration or the lack of it would be my guess. Well, at least we won,at this stage of the season this is the most important thing.Lets get over the finishing line.

I just posted in the match thread. The one positive is that the manager AND the players are aware of the failing. As Halliday said "we will lose games. The important thing is to learn from them. I don't think we have done that after Falkirk". They recognize it isn't good enough

I just posted in the match thread. The one positive is that the manager AND the players are aware of the failing. As Halliday said "we will lose games. The important thing is to learn from them. I don't think we have done that after Falkirk". They recognize it isn't good enough

Is that learning from mistakes not just a cliché though. Every player makes mistakes whether he is 20 or 40. I have never seen a player that doesn't make mistakes. Every game is different and throws up different challenges.