Gasparotto sets sights on new Rangers deal

But sometimes a "Jamie Vardy" happens where a player develops at 23 or 24 into a quality player. His wages still won't be excessive, I'd still keep a hold of him for a couple of years.

We can't keep hundreds of players waiting for a Jamie Vardy. If he is not on first team radar then he should be released.

It's generally very difficult for young centre-halves at big clubs to get into the first team.

It's such a vital position and I doubt that Gasparotto is being considered as first team material for next season.

We have Kiernan and Wilson contracted to the club and a good chance another will be brought in.

Finance is always a challenge and I think this may mean no contract offer for the lad but I say all that having hardly seen the lad play.

I would have him in the team ahead of Wilson in a heartbeat. Don't know what has happened to Danny since leaving us, but his defending is utterly atrocious. His awareness and positional play is really poor and I am astonished at just how bad he has been as I rated him highly before and was delighted we got him back.

The one saving grace for him is that I believe he would look a far better defender if he had the right partner. I don't think the partnership with Kiernan works at all, neither takes charge and both have the same attributes and faults. Good passers, confident in possession, reasonable pace, but both suffer from poor starting positions and neither can see the danger developing in front of them.

Unfortunately I think Kiernan is slightly the better player overall and that may work against Wilson for next season if Kiernan is preferred to partner the new centre back we must buy. We may even buy two and that would leave us with too many and Luca would be unlikely to get a new deal if that is going to be MW's way forward.