Derek Johnstone: Rangers fans want permanent arrivals...

While I understand the economic imperative regards loans compared to signing players for X years, I'd like to think that we give priority to developing our own players where they are considered worthy of a chance.

Gametime is so important and while it's fine if your loan player is performing and adding to the collective as planned, it's often the case that a significant percentage of loan players are for whatever reason, underwhelming.

Taking the example of Liam Burt.

If this lad is good and has what it takes then why not fast-track him and see what happens. Send him on loan to get first team football up until January and if he is the real deal bring him back and start giving him more gamtime.

We'll only create value by giving the lads gametime and if the new sustainable model is to work then this alongside managing their contract situation is the way to go.

We have to remember that there is a far way to go to become sustainable and it will require a very different way of going about business than in past years.

The management team would wholeheartedly agree with you buster.

But one thing that we shouldn't forget is the "Sinclair years" at the Academy. We talk about McCoist and his management holding us back 5 years but I would contend Sinclair held us back far more than McCoist has because his youth signings were more physical and less technical. That leaves the current management team with little to work with.

I reckon it will take 3-5 years before we see the fruits of the quality of Mulholland. The signs are there when you see a number of our U17's play Celtic at U20 level and holding their own.