Mark Warburton 'surprised' at Scotland snub for his Rangers stars

MARK WARBURTON is ‘surprised’ that his Rangers stars have been overlooked for Scotland duty by boss Gordon Strachan.

The national manager named two squads for the upcoming friendly fixtures with the Czech Republic and Denmark this week but no Rangers players were handed a cap call.

Barrie McKay and Billy King were both named in the Under-21 squad but captain Lee Wallace was once again overlooked as he missed out on Strachan’s experimental group.

Warburton saw his side move another step closer to the Championship crown with a 3-1 win over Morton last night as a Kenny Miller double and Wallace effort clinched the points at Ibrox.

The Gers boss confirmed the fixture at home to Queen of the South on Saturday, March 26 is now likely to go ahead but he feels more of his players deserved the chance to represent their country this month.

Warburton said: “I’ll answer this question but this is not “Warburton blasting Strachan” or “lambasting Strachan”, because I’m not.

“I am surprised, yeah. I think we have some high quality players in the squad. We are 15 points clear at top of the Championship.

“I am delighted because I want the players working here. But I know full well there are a lot of international class players in the dressing room.

“That is just my opinion. Gordon is the national manager and I respect that so good luck to the squad.

“I know how good Lee Wallace has been. I know how good other players have been. But I don’t make that decision, it is down to Gordon and his staff and good luck to them.

“You saw against Dundee how good they can be. Lee led again by example again here.

“I look at Jason Holt, I look at Barrie McKay, I look at Andy Halliday, I look at Danny Wilson.

"You look at players from other countries, such as Rob Kiernan and Wes Foderingham. We have some very high quality players in the dressing room.

"What we have to do is get the job done this season and hopefully move up again.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14339357.Mark_Warburton__surprised__at_Scotland_snub_for_his_Rangers_stars/

That's as much as he can say for the moment, good job.

Anyway, there are other teams who need their young players to have a few Scottish caps so that they can ask for more money for them when they sell them.

Some teams need to do that every season to keep the bank happy.