Waghorn Ahead Of Schedule

RANGERS will not have the element of surprise on their side when they take on Celtic for the first time this season – according to the manager.

Mark Warburton doesn’t believe his side have been successful against Premiership opposition this season because they haven’t played them as much as Championship teams.

The gaffer isn’t taking the Hoops threat lightly but is confident in his squad’s ability after overcoming a number of hurdles this season.

He said: “I don’t think we are a surprise and let’s have a sense of reality for a moment, they [Celtic] have a high quality squad.

“We will go into that game, touch wood, in good form with lots of self-belief and we will play them very well – there is no doubt about that.

“But they are top of the Premier League and have had five years plus in European competition and have the budget and the players.

“We are appreciative of that, we respect that but in no way will we go into it with a negative approach.

“It’s about Rangers and we know it will be a tough test and it’s another challenge for us but the players have responded all season to tough challenges. We will look forward to that game but the key message is; not yet.”

The manager also shared positive injury news about Martyn Waghorn with Rangerstv.tv.

The striker faced a long spell on the sidelines after picking up a knee injury at Kilmarnock in the Cup and Warburton says the former Wigan man is working hard on an early return.

He said: “Waggy has been an outstanding pro, he has worked so hard and our physio came to see me just now to say he is ahead of schedule, which is good news but we need to make sure he is right.”

“He will be keen to play at Hampden, I am sure, but it’s important to make sure he is well looked after and ready for next season as well.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/no-surprises/

Great news as I thought Waghorn may not feature in a meaningful game again this season.

If he could get playing again a couple of weeks before the Celtic match, that would be a real boost though - to be fair to those who've stepped into his role - he's not been missed as much as I thought he would be since his injury.

It would be great to have Waggy in a position to play some part in the petro final the week before and then lead the line v the unwashed. I think he would give them the run around. I think we are Gona have to score more than them (obviously?) coz I reckon they will bag at least one. I fancy a really open game, but a good victory the week before would set us up nicely?

Great news as I thought Waghorn may not feature in a meaningful game again this season.

If he could get playing again a couple of weeks before the Celtic match, that would be a real boost though - to be fair to those who've stepped into his role - he's not been missed as much as I thought he would be since his injury.

Waggy has been missing for four games. We have scored 8 goals in those matches, only one(kenny Miller against Queen of the South) has come from a striker. Our midfielders and full backs have stepped up, whereas our other strikers have failed to fill the void.

Waggy has been missing for four games. We have scored 8 goals in those matches, only one(kenny Miller against Queen of the South) has come from a striker. Our midfielders and full backs have stepped up, whereas our other strikers have failed to fill the void.

Fair point but whilst Miller played up top and didn't score on Saturday, obviously he was important to the flow of the team. Clark hasn't been quote as effective and that perhaps underlines our need for another striker for next season.

Hope he doesn't push too hard after all league won,Petrofac should be a win and cup semi a bonus,so chance of aggravating his knee by coming back too soon could be a worry.

Better to have him fully fit for next season or possible cup final.