Windass and Crooks Sign

Crooks and Windass accused of being "disrespectful" by Accrington manager

ACCRINGTON Stanley manager John Coleman today hit out at Matt Crooks and Josh Windass - for being “disrespectful” after signing four year deals with Rangers.

Crooks and Windass both took to social media website Twitter on Wednesday night to express their happiness at agreeing long-term agreements with the Ibrox club.

The 21-year-old duo are out of contract with their English League 2 club in the summer and looks set to join for nominal compensation at the end of the 2015/16 campaign.

But Coleman was unhappy the pair, who have been first team regulars at the Wham Stadium this season, had gone online to speak about moving to Glasgow.

He claimed it was disrespectful to the Stanley supporters who had backed the players since they had joined the Lancashire club.

Coleman also stressed the pair wouldn't be allowed to leave before the end of this term despite speculation that current Championship leaders Rangers are prepared to offer £400,000 for them to boost their promotion bid.

“I obviously found out that two players are leaving at the end of the season, which I knew anyway as they didn’t sign new deals earlier in the season, yesterday,” said Coleman.

“Accrington can’t compete with the big clubs, certainly money-wise. The players have a great chance to play for a massive club in name and in front of a big crowd.

“In a few years’ time, they will be back to where they were before their troubles and it’s a big stadium with great facilities.

“I don’t blame them, they have to take the opportunity and they had every right to sign for Rangers. I wish them all the best.”

Speaking to the Accrington Stanley website, he added: “I don’t get embroiled in social media, but I do think going on and seeing the players had tweeted about ‘buzzing to play for a massive club’ is disrespectful to our fans.

Promoted stories

Recommended by

“Our fans have backed them through thick and thin and I do think there should be more respect in place.

“When I became a manager, my ethos was always to treat players how I would want to be treated and I just wish there had been more communication from the players to myself.”

Accrington, who are bidding to win promotion to League One, look set to retain the services of both Crooks and Windass despite the pair signing for Rangers.

But he warned the defensive midfielder and the attacking midfielder they weren’t guaranteed a place in the first team in the months ahead.

"I told them they weren’t going to leave until the end of the season, and that’s still the position,” said Coleman.

“I said three months ago that they were free to do what they want in January because the minute they didn’t sign the new contracts that we offered them, which were unbelievable for a club of our size, I knew they weren’t going to sign and they were going to go in the summer, so nothing’s changed.

“I’m not churlish enough to know that every player’s got his price and if a price comes that we can’t turn down, well then we don’t turn it down, but I can’t see that happening so they’ll be Accrington players until the end of the season.

"We’ve had no dialogue with anybody. We got an email off Rangers informing us very curtly that their intention was that they were going to speak to the players with a view to signing them at the end of the season, and that was it.

“It was a three-line email, and that’s all we’ve heard. But my perspective on the season hasn’t changed. They’ve only agreed to sign them at the end of the season, so it’s business as usual for me. And my focus is on the Notts County game on Saturday.

“Crooksy has been one of our players of the season and Josh has shown what he can do in flashes.

“But we have players like Shay McCartan chomping at the bit to play and no one’s position is set in stone. I am just focusing on what happens between now and the end of the season.”

Accrington Stanley boss accuses Rangers new boys Josh Windass and Matt Crooks of disrespecting his club on social media

13:27, 7 Jan 2016

Updated 13:27, 7 Jan 2016

By Gordon Parks

STANLEY gaffer John Coleman slammed the duo for their posts on social media about making the switch to a 'massive club'.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY boss John Coleman has accused Rangers new boys Josh Windass and Matt Crooks of disrespecting his club on social media after sealing their moves.

The pair have signed pre-contract deals at Ibrox after snubbing the chance to stay with the League Two side.

But Coleman has slammed the duo for their posts on social media about making the switch to a 'massive club'.

He said: “I don’t get embroiled in social media but I do think going on and seeing the players had tweeted about ‘buzzing to play for a massive club’ is disrespectful to our fans.

“Our fans have backed them through thick and thin and I do think there should be more respect in place. When I became a manager, my ethos was always to treat players how I would want to be treated and I just wish there had been more communication from the players to myself.

“I had two bits of news on Wednesday. I obviously found out that two players are leaving at the end of the season, which I knew anyway as they didn’t sign new deals earlier in the season.

“Then I heard that a former team-mate and friend John Carroll had died suddenly in his sleep. I know which piece of news upset me most and it was definitely the latter. You have to put things in perspective and be realistic.

“Accrington can’t compete with the big clubs, certainly money-wise, the players have a great chance to play for a massive club in name and in front of a big crowd. In a few years’ time, they will be back to where they were before their troubles and it’s a big stadium with great facilities.

“I don’t blame them, they have to take the opportunity and they had every right to sign for Rangers. I wish them all the best.”

Coleman insists both players are in his plans for tomorrow’s clash with Notts County and it will be business as usual despite the controversy.

He said: “My position hasn’t changed though. I am fully focused on Notts County and preparing for an important home game.

“Crooksy has been one of our players of the season and Josh has shown what he can do in flashes but we have players like Shay McCartan chomping at the bit to play and no one’s position is set in stone. I am just focusing on what happens between now and the end of the season.”