The 4th Gersnet Dinner on 30 January 2016: Featuring Willie Johnston & Colin Stein

Apologies for the delay in confirming arrangements for the Dinner, which we decided in November, would be after the Falkirk game on 30 January 2016.

I have been working on a guest speaker but unfortunately when Mr Gilligan heard that the Gunslinger would more than likely be in attendance (car breakdowns permitting) he followed Mr Robertson by deciding that he had a prior engagement. I am still 90% confident that we will have a noteworthy speaker but will not be able to confirm until later in the week.

However, given the probability of a speaker I have made an executive decision to return to the Indian Brasserie Restaurant, 560 Paisley Road West, Glasgow G51 1RF (just round the corner from Copland Rd).

As last time the owner will close the restaurant for us if we can bring at least 20 people.

Based on past experience, the only viable alternative is Malaga Tapas, scene of the first two dinners, but Cristobal no longer has the place next door and cannot give us the main restaurant to ourselves.

A short history for new Gersnetters. The first dinner was in Malaga Tapas on 26 April 2014. 12 people attended and GS remarked "never seen so much food as at Malaga Tapas". The second was at the same venue (but in the cafe next door) on 6 December 2014. Undoubtedly this was our biggest success so far, when more than 20 attendees heard Dave Smith as guest speaker, on the road from Berwick via Nuremburg to Barcelona. The most recent dinner, on 17 May 2015, turned into a bit of a nightmare due to the uncertainty of the play off games, dates and times. We had decided by the narrowest of margins to go to the Indian Brasserie but unfortunately only 9 of the 18 who had booked eventually passed through the doors. Let's just say that some had better excuses than others. This was doubly embarrassing in terms of the restaurant that turned away other bookings and the guest speaker, Rangers Historian, Robert McElroy. Those who were there heard a very interesting speech on Rangers: The War Years.

So aside from anything else, I do feel that we "owe" the restaurant (and I will also invite Robert) and I hope there will be a much bigger turnout this time.

I will confirm price/menu etc tomorrow but don't expect it to be markedly different from last time (£10.75 for 3 course meal).

gersnet_dinner_2016.jpg

Edited by Frankie

Apologies for the delay in confirming arrangements for the Dinner, which we decided in November, would be after the Falkirk game on 30 January 2016.

I have been working on a guest speaker but unfortunately when Mr Gilligan heard that the Gunslinger would more than likely be in attendance (car breakdowns permitting) he followed Mr Robertson by deciding that he had a prior engagement. I am still 90% confident that we will have a noteworthy speaker but will not be able to confirm until later in the week.

However, given the probability of a speaker I have made an executive decision to return to the Indian Brasserie Restaurant, 560 Paisley Road West, Glasgow G51 1RF (just round the corner from Copland Rd).

As last time the owner will close the restaurant for us if we can bring at least 20 people.

Based on past experience, the only viable alternative is Malaga Tapas, scene of the first two dinners, but Cristobal no longer has the place next door and cannot give us the main restaurant to ourselves.

A short history for new Gersnetters. The first dinner was in Malaga Tapas on 26 April 2014. 12 people attended and GS remarked "never seen so much food as at Malaga Tapas". The second was at the same venue (but in the cafe next door) on 6 December 2014. Undoubtedly this was our biggest success so far, when more than 20 attendees heard Dave Smith as guest speaker, on the road from Berwick via Nuremburg to Barcelona. The most recent dinner, on 17 May 2015, turned into a bit of a nightmare due to the uncertainty of the play off games, dates and times. We had decided by the narrowest of margins to go to the Indian Brasserie but unfortunately only 9 of the 18 who had booked eventually passed through the doors. Let's just say that some had better excuses than others. This was doubly embarrassing in terms of the restaurant that turned away other bookings and the guest speaker, Rangers Historian, Robert McElroy. Those who were there heard a very interesting speech on Rangers: The War Years.

So aside from anything else, I do feel that we "owe" the restaurant (and I will also invite Robert) and I hope there will be a much bigger turnout this time.

I will confirm price/menu etc tomorrow but don't expect it to be markedly different from last time (£10.75 for 3 course meal).

Me and Mr Gillingan are friendly.

I should add, BH does a great job of organising these and all have been fine events.

As well as meeting again those I've met before, would be great to see a few more new faces.

Edited by Frankie

I should add, BH does a great job of organising these and all have been fine events.

As well as meeting again those I've met before, would be great to see a few more new faces.

I will send you a cardboard model of me. You can put it in the cellar later to scare away the rats.:seal: