Witness flop for Old Firm bottle attack on Gers fan, 11

A PROBE into a bottle attack on a Rangers fan of 11 was shelved by cops after no one came forward to help.

Kieran Duffy was in a bus heading to his first Old Firm match when he lost two teeth in a cowardly assault by a Celtic thug near Hampden Park.

But it has emerged police halted the case when their search for witnesses drew a blank.

A spokesman said: “The investigation has concluded with no arrest. However should any new information come to light it will be acted upon.”

Kieran was going to the League Cup semi-final in February with his twin brother Declan and dad Robert, 40, when he was attacked in Glasgow’s Mount Florida.

A mob of Hoops yobs in the street began shouting abuse at the driver before the door was opened and the bottle launched.

Kieran, of the city’s Springboig, was left covered in blood and needing stitches.

His family yesterday declined to comment on the latest news.

But Kieran said at the time: “I was scared, I didn’t know what had happened.

“I saw my brother was crying. My hand was covered in blood and I realised something was wrong.” His dad added: “It hit my elbow but I didn’t realise the state Kieran was in.

“He was drenched in blood. If it had been two inches up, we’d have been talking life or death.

“I was on the ground, just about to collapse. Seeing your son in that mess, it knocked me for six, I nearly fainted.

“I felt sick, dizzy — there was blood everywhere.”

Celtic later won the first Old Firm clash in three years 2-0.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/6835631/Witness-flop-for-Old-Firm-bottle-attack-on-Gers-fan-11.html

Disappointing but not surprising.

Had the young lad been a yahoo would Plod Scotland given up so easily? Would their Holyrood masters have allowed them to?

Personally I think that is a crap statement. In this case his team\religion would make no difference. If the Police could arrest someone they would. It may also be a plea for someone to come forward.

Personally I think that is a crap statement. In this case his team\religion would make no difference. If the Police could arrest someone they would. It may also be a plea for someone to come forward.

Agreed Pete. I think Rab is looking for things when they may not be there.

They haven't given up, they have asked for people to step forward. They can't continue a case with no evidence, no willing witnesses, no cctv and nobody to suspect.

Silly statement from Rab IMHO.

Edited by craig

How do you know no one on the bus didn't come forward to give evidence?

A PROBE into a bottle attack on a Rangers fan of 11 was shelved by cops after no one came forward to help. But it has emerged police halted the case when their search for witnesses drew a blank.

Just my interpretation of these two sentences Rab. What else could that mean?