Marco Negri: Rebuilt Rangers will soon be able to attract some of the best kids...

...from around Europe.

FORMER Ibrox striker Marco Negri insists a rebuilt Rangers would be capable of attracting the cream of young talent from all over Europe to its academy system.

The 45-year-old was involved in representing the club at coaching schools in Australia earlier this year and has signed up as an ambassador for a youth football initiative kicked off by supporters’ group Sons Of Struth.

Negri is delighted to hear of the importance being placed on bringing first-team players through from the academy by manager Mark Warburton and claims experience has shown him that a Rangers side back playing in the top division of Scottish football would be a draw to promising talent from far beyond these shores.

“There has to be a project based on four or five years of work at Rangers,” said Negri. “I know that Rangers supporters have already been very, very patient, but you really do have to start from the bottom to create something solid that is going to last.

“In my opinion, youth development has to be a matter of real importance.

“Playing for Rangers is a dream for many, many kids in Scotland, but that also exists in Europe as well.

“Rangers have a lot of former players who came from Italy, such as myself, Germany, Holland, Denmark and Finland. It is a name that is still well-known.

“In my opinion, the club should now take advantage of those former players in sourcing new talent.

“If there is a talent somewhere in Italy or elsewhere, there is a ready-made list of contacts that the club can use.”

Negri is supportive of a policy of building a team studiously with suitable players purchased at affordable prices and trusts supporters will understand that success in the Ladbrokes Premiership may not happen overnight.

“Rangers fans are the blood of that club,” said Negri. “They have had problems over the past few years, but I believe those are now coming to an end.

“The big step will be at the end of this season should Rangers return to the Premiership and there has to be a willingness to give things time.

“It will be good to see the return of the Old Firm derby and it will not be easy for some people to understand that patience is required. The club will not want to be second to anyone.

“You can dream of winning titles, of course, but you must keep your feet on the ground and think about things with a clear mind.

“It is important to carry out the project correctly. Players cannot be bought because of name or reputation. They must come because they have the right attitude. They must come because they are the right age.

“You need young players. Playing at Ibrox is not easy for anyone, though, and they will need time.

“I don’t know if it will take two or three years, but I am sure Rangers will be back at the top of Scottish football before long.”

http://m.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14037495.Marco_Negri__Rebuilt_Rangers_will_soon_be_able_to_attract_some_of_the_best_kids_from_around_Europe/?ref=fbshr