Further statement from Rangers Football Club, RE: Title-stripping

Former Celtic defender Darren O'Dea is calling for Rangers to be stripped of their league titles if they are finally found guilty of breaking tax rules.

"If they were found guilty, it's a difficult one. I certainly feel Rangers as a club should be stripped of the titles," he told BBC Scotland.

"I think it's an obvious sporting advantage they've had."

Last week, Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs won its appeal over Rangers' use of a controversial tax scheme.

More to follow.

For an administrative error?

C'mon how many bites of the cherry do they want.

The investigation they had found we had no sporting advantage.

If Celtic,Dundee United or any other club want us stripped of titles. Then they should come out and say it enough of all this cloak and dagger sh!t.

Edited by Crimson Dynamo

O'Dea: Rangers should lose titles if they broke tax rules

Former Celtic defender Darren O'Dea is calling for Rangers to be stripped of their league titles if they are finally found guilty of breaking tax rules.

"If they were found guilty, it's a difficult one. I certainly feel Rangers as a club should be stripped of the titles," O'Dea, 28, told BBC Scotland.

"I think it's an obvious sporting advantage they've had."

Last week, Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs won its appeal over Rangers' use of a controversial tax scheme.

The company that formerly ran Rangers used Employee Benefit Trusts from 2000-2010 and won five league titles in that period.

Three Court of Session judges ruled that a number of companies run by Sir David Murray, including the now-liquidated oldco Rangers, should have paid million of pounds in tax on the scheme.

This has renewed discussion about whether this amounted to Rangers holding an unfair sporting advantage over their opponents.

A previous league investigation ruled it did not, but last Friday the Scottish Professional Football League's board met to discuss the court development.

Earlier on Monday, Rangers issued a statement saying "there is no need for further SPFL consideration".

The statement said of the SPFL: "They should be saying it is time for everyone to move on and work together for the greater good of the game. Scottish football has suffered enough."

O'Dea, who played for Celtic from 2006-12, said he had the "utmost respect" for the Rangers players and would "feel sorry" for them if titles were stripped.

The Republic of Ireland international added: "At any club I have never questioned where the money I'm getting is coming from.

"I wouldn't be keen to see them (the players) stripped of their medals, but as a club, the people that were in the wrong, yeah, I fully think if they are found guilty, they should be stripped of the medals.

"Truthfully, I wouldn't want the medals, they wouldn't really mean anything to me. But it's not really what I want, what Celtic players want - it's what's right for football and sport in general."

"The case hasn't been closed yet, but if they are found guilty there is no grey area. It is not what could have happened or what might have happened - if they are found guilty that is the end of the story, for me anyway.

"This 'well, maybe these players would have signed', for me it doesn't matter. If you are found guilty you have to pay the consequences.

"I played against some very, very good Rangers players and it would be very disappointing for them. The only people they could blame are the people who ran Rangers at the time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34771999

"The case hasn't been closed yet, but if they are found guilty there is no grey area. It is not what could have happened or what might have happened - if they are found guilty that is the end of the story, for me anyway.

"This 'well, maybe these players would have signed', for me it doesn't matter. If you are found guilty you have to pay the consequences.

Whether we're ultimately found guilty or not we already have paid the consequences - we got hit with a massive bill from HMRC that bankrupted us.

As many have pointed out, we could have fielded the same line-ups simply by borrowing more money and building up a debt. The financial consequences for the club would have been virtually the same. The only major difference would have been we'd probably have been able to negotiate some affordable scheme of pay-back or a CVA with a lender.

Look around the world of football - it's not that uncommon for clubs to ruin themselves by overspending. The consequences are clear. The years of success are balanced by the years in the wilderness. We have suffered those consequences and more - and we may yet be told we didn't actually owe what HMRC claimed at all.

Edited by Thinker

Guest MasterMeaker

The trophy stripping parrot is just sleeping.Returning to the top tier without as much as a word of apology or a penny in compensation received will be a massive wake up call for it.