Squad finalised

I don't think the midfield 3 are RM, CM and LM; it's more like 3 CMs. The Attackers are LW, RW, ST. Aird can play RB, RW (and LW, I suppose), but not ®CM, IMO. Same with Clark: no way is he going to play ®CM.

As I said, most of them probably grew up playing a 4-4-2 and there, you can't really tell whether someone is actually a right-sided midfielder or rather a "winger". Currently we essentially nearly play with 3 midfielders on each side of midfield, given how often Wallace and Tavernier are much farther up the field than you would expect from fullbacks. That in turn gives those actually asigned for their respective side the opportunity to move in-field. Thus we essentially swarm all over the opposition and keep them occupied where they can hit us least, in their own half. probably the main theme of Warburton's philosophy.

What W&W probably look for are people comfortable of playing in various midfield positions, e.g. Halliday and Holt. Add to that "attackers" who can play next to everywhere from attacking midfield or either wing, i.e. McKay, Oduwa, Templeton, Walsh and even Waghorn. It looks like he wants people comfortable in various position as well as with a certain degree of quality, rather than people solely able to be perfect in one position. Well, apart from the keepers perhaps. It has even been murmured that Foderingham is probably encouraged to play some "sort of sweeper", assisting the two CHs when the rest of the side is further up the field.

Well, in any case, we'll probably have to trust W&W for the time being. We'll sure suffer the odd misshap, but that is to be expected. I would assume though that the gaffer has targets in mind for January and next summer, given the challenges we'll face then. One step after another though.

NB: Regarding the youngsters, Tom Lang (playing RB), Jordan Thompson and goalie Liam Kelly gave a good account of themselves in the u20s on Tuesday.

This was always going to be a 4 window transformation. I think the additions of Wes, Tav, Wilson, Kiernan, Ball, Halliday, Holt, Gedion, Waghorn, Oduwa, for the first window, together with the revitalisation of McKay, Clark, Law, Wallace, Templeton under proper management gives us enough for this 4 month half-season.

I fully expect more development of the squad in January, and further strengthening next summer for our tilt at 55. After our club being torn apart then neglected for the last 4 years, it is great to see us being rebuilt properly, play attractive winning football, have boardroom stability, and a positive future.

Anyone expecting us to be the finished article at this stage probably also believes in the innocence of those scumbags charged with serious crimes against our club today in court.

There may be blips along the way, but we have the luxury of having an easy tilt at the title and can afford the odd slip-up, and we must be patient and look towards the growth and steady improvement of our squad to challenge for the 16-17 top tier title.

The squad rebuilding will be done over the next year or so.

Next summer we've got players such as Templeton, Shiels, MIller, Law and Clark out of contract and I'd be amazed if any of them got offered a new contract. They will all need replaced and we should all have great faith in MW to get superior replacements when the time comes

I think strengthening the squad again in january will be necessary if we're to win the SC and get EL entry but Mw has already said that hadn't he?

Im happy with the squad and I think Warburton is thinking ahead to next summer already. He will assess this squad over the season, he knows its good enough to get promotion but will add to it when necessary for a tougher league next season.

3 of this squad are in on loan and will obviously go back to their clubs next summer meaning Warburton will know he has 3 more places to fill and I would guess he already has players in mind.