Doesn't matter if it is a foreign thing or not, Pete's point is that some international managers use tournaments as training rather than winning being the be all and end all.

Last I checked, Gasparotto was foreign (I.e. not British) anyway, so your statement about foreign actually strengthens Pete's argument and weakens yours.

Managers who don't want to win tournaments. How quaint.

Can you point to ANY post where either Pete or I said that managers don't want to win a tournament ? Neither of us said that anywhere. However, if you took a moment to actually read what we are typing you will find that we said managers often use tournaments as training tools where the eye is keenly focused on enhancing their training, fitness and tactical play - they still want to win but it isn't the focus.

You only need to look at our very own Mark Warburton to see what Pete was originally saying..... he said the Hibs & Peterhead games were part of the pre-season schedule. Did he want to win ? Of course. But he was at pains to ensure that people were aware he saw them as pre-season games where winning isn't the focus.

Any unofficial tournament is a build up to the real tournaments. Managers often use them to try different players and tactics.

There is no point Pete. GS has become so entrenched in his view and doesn't know how to admit he might be wrong that he simply wont back down on his viewpoint on this.

There is no point Pete. GS has become so entrenched in his view and doesn't know how to admit he might be wrong that he simply wont back down on his viewpoint on this.

I even stated in post 32 they wanted to win but tweaking the team was the main purpose.

Can you point to ANY post where either Pete or I said that managers don't want to win a tournament ? Neither of us said that anywhere. However, if you took a moment to actually read what we are typing you will find that we said managers often use tournaments as training tools where the eye is keenly focused on enhancing their training, fitness and tactical play - they still want to win but it isn't the focus.

You only need to look at our very own Mark Warburton to see what Pete was originally saying..... he said the Hibs & Peterhead games were part of the pre-season schedule. Did he want to win ? Of course. But he was at pains to ensure that people were aware he saw them as pre-season games where winning isn't the focus.

It's exactly what Pete is saying and your backing him up.

I even stated in post 32 they wanted to win but tweaking the team was the main purpose.

Yes when I pointed out this was drivel.

Have you not heard nearly every manager saying the result is not important it is a part of our build up. I live in Germany and watch Dutch and German TV and believe me the managers say exactly the same thing

Well seen you quote your back track.

Belittle him all you like but do it sensibly. His player of the tournament award is a good achievement.

When did i say his play in this tournament wasn't good or not an achievement? I stated in the beginning that to get into the Rangers first team he will have to play better than he is showing in matches for the Rangers development team. I stand by that point. In the games I have seen recently for the Rangers development team he has defended very poorly. I will even give him the benefit of the doubt whether it is totally his fault or due to poor defending by his team mates. In the case of the Hearts goal he is totally at fault by backing off so much to allow the Hearts player a shot at goal.