Club Represented At Top Conference

Written by Nick Thomson

RANGERS will be represented at this weekend’s highly prestigious UK Strength and Conditioning Association conference by academy sports scientist Luke Lawrence.

Lawrence produced a detailed poster as part of his Masters submission, and he will present his findings to delegates at the event in Derby on Saturday.

And, speaking to RangersTV, Lawrence explained what his project was about.

He told us:“This was my final year Masters project, and I decided to do it on football since I’m working in football.

“Basically, I was looking at the influence of maturity on the age groups between under-13s and under-17s, and how the running demands change in matchplay.

“The lads all wore GPS vests which tracked the running distances they covered and the top speed they reached during a game, and then I looked at how that changed through the different age groups.

“Evidence showed that people increase in strength, speed and power as they mature, but up until now, not many people have investigated it in matchplay, so this was something novel, and we found some quite interesting results.

“This is the go-to conference for all sports science and strength and conditioning staff in the field. Even though I’m only taking part in a small proportion of the conference, I’m immensely proud to have produced such a project.

“Having Rangers’ name on the poster will mean it immediately stands out and people will be drawn to it. That’s a real bonus for me and the club.”

Lawrence joined the Academy last winter from West Ham United, and he believes the structure at Rangers and the facilities at Auchenhowie exceed what he experienced with the Premier League outfit.

He continued: “I arrived in November last year, and even in this short space of time there have been a lot of changes.

“It’s all part and parcel of developing going forward, and Craig Mulholland the Academy director is doing a fantastic job and I’m very happy to be here.

“I’ve settled well. It’s always daunting moving a long way from home, but the staff here have been excellent and the transition has been very smooth.

“I would say the facilities here are better than they are at West Ham. Things are done in a very similar manner, but there is a bit more passion here and people really want to play for the club.

“That’s maybe because there are a lot of teams in London – but, of course, there’s only one team in Glasgow!”

I love the last sentence.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9732-club-represented-at-top-conference