Chat With Boss Reassured Me

8986f0e14a473f333d4bf298560f415d_XL.jpg

CALUM Gallagher has revealed a chat with Mark Warburton persuaded him that travelling to Northern Ireland with the under-20s would represent his best chance of forcing his way into the manager’s first-team plans.

Gallagher has been on the fringes of the top team for a few seasons now, and he began this pre-season with Warburton’s squad before being advised to take the step to Ian Durrant’s side to get some game-time against Ballymena and Coleraine.

And while admitting to having mixed feelings over making the trip, Gallagher was heartened by a one-to-one discussion with boss Warburton.

He said: “Everyone’s aim is to play for the first team, but the manager took the boys that weren’t involved aside and he explained why we were to go out there.

“Everything he said was with the aim to push us on, so there was no real frustration or any of us feeling left out.

“We all knew why we were there, and that was to hopefully push on to get involved with the first team.

“That was an individual meeting I had where he spent five minutes with us all speaking about the pre-season so far and what we can gain by going away.

“At the end of pre-season, he wants us all to have as much game-time as possible and for us all to be match-ready.

“That’s probably the best way to do it rather than only getting five or 10 minutes here and there as a substitute.

“We need to be getting as much game time as possible, so we were all happy to get away and play.

“You can end up getting lost and lose focus when you’re left out and you don’t feel involved, or as involved as you’d like to be.”

The trip over the water ended with a 1-1 draw with Ballymena and a 2-1 victory over Coleraine, and Gallagher reckons both matches provided a good test of the young side’s credentials.

He continued: “It was a good experience for the younger boys to play against professionals who have been playing for much longer than them.

“It was a really physical test, but at this stage of the season, it was exactly what we needed to get ourselves into the rhythm of competitive football.

“It was good to test where we were and to see how far we’ve come. In the short spell we’ve had in pre-season, it’s been pretty intense with the new regime, and the boys have taken a while to get used to everything.

“From the result at the weekend for the first team though, it’s obvious that it’s working out well.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9720-chat-with-boss-reassured-me

really rate the boy. Out of all the prospects i see him going the furthest. Personally would play him in the mckay role on the right upfront. His timing at the back post would be similar to the miller goals at the weekend

Edited by trublusince1982

sure he scored in 2 pre season games one year for the first team. cant find any video but sure i was at the game might of been brora, the other i seen on link think it was in america.(could be wrong)

He scored two against Buckie Thistle during pre-season 2014/2015, then scored against Victoria Highlanders on the North American trip. Never really had a look in since!