Gers To Train At Spurs

clearly stated that playing regularly or the standard of player is immaterial. Was talking about how many players have progressed through the club into professional contracts and been promoted to first team squad.

Most criteria measured for youth amounts to one game for first team. Inter aim for think if I remember right 1-2 players to play once each year for top team.

We actually rank not bad for youth last time I checked admittedly over a year ago. We were top in scotland and outside th top 20 in europe.The criteria was measured as at club from 15-18 and having signed professional contracts for teams in their respective top league so not even including the championship in england. Even the mob who collated the info I emailed were surprised at how well we had done with our budgets. Couldn't get the buggers to include the English championship which would have improved our position dramatically!!

Ajax as you mention spend €6m euro a year on their academy and their main aim is to promote 2-3 players into the first team squad every two years. We have promoted far more than that.

Most of the players you listed were nowhere near our first team last season. All clubs have young players in their squads, what matters is whether they are actually participating or not. When Hearts beat us at Tynecastle last season, 6 of their starting XI came through their youth setup, along with just about everyone on the bench. We, on the other hand, had two players, both of whom have now left and one of them (Smith) has been been elsewhere in between. In the last few years the only youths to feature regularly are Aird, Macleod and Murdoch. If youth players are not playing then their existence is irrelevant. They are just making up numbers.

Lets stop talking about Ajax because it's a ridiculous comparison. I'm pretty sure the 2-3 player thing relates to players who actually play ;).

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

You cite clubs which have deep, talented squads making the odd loan signing of international players. The current situation at Ibrox Bears no resemblance to those situations.

Eh no. The point is about loaning players. GS stated it was for small clubs. Overall its a ridiculous statement.

Ajax used to be a feared name in Europe, now they just make up the numbers like a lot of great teams of the past.

Anderlecht, Benfica, Feyenoord, Red Star, Ferencvaros, Cologne and St Etienne come to mind too.

Eh no. The point is about loaning players. GS stated it was for small clubs. Overall its a ridiculous statement.

In fairness to GS I think it is more in frustration at where we are rather than what we are doing just now.

Loanees are for small clubs to the extent of using them to reach your goal.

So yes, it is for small clubs.

The 'Big' clubs use them as a useful means to see if they 'fit in'. If they don't then no worries move on, if they don't fit with the small club they're stuck.

Edited by Bearman

They should be told to work with rangers players and sacked if they can't manage promotion.

Tbh I think a good manager could win this league with our u21s. But it would be folly to test it that far.

Of course better still the board should find the cash to get players in of the desired quality.

We have to pay Nicky Clark for another year, even Penn and Teller cannot make him a footballer.

I'd happily take A.N.Other on loan for a season rather than watch the ball bounce off him again.

Handicapping yourself by refusing to use the loan system would be an act of utter folly.

In fairness to GS I think it is more in frustration at where we are rather than what we are doing just now.

Loanees are for small clubs to the extent of using them to reach your goal.

So yes, it is for small clubs.

The 'Big' clubs use them as a useful means to see if they 'fit in'. If they don't then no worries move on, if they don't fit with the small club they're stuck.

Disagree. You use the system to your advantage and if others want to put a small club mentality on it then so be it, that's their decision. But when you are in a rebuilding phase (3 years to late BTW) then I certainly don't look at it as being a small club thing.

Strikers do lose form, Nicky Clark who proved himself in this division 2 years ago lost form playing in a dreadful team with dreadful set up.

Nicky Clark had the ball bouncing off him because of that, in saying that there were moments of magic (yes far and few between)

Bringing in a loanee with a better management team might just be the making of the man.

Disagree. You use the system to your advantage and if others want to put a small club mentality on it then so be it, that's their decision. But when you are in a rebuilding phase (3 years to late BTW) then I certainly don't look at it as being a small club thing.

I don't want to look at it as a small club thing either, but how else can it be seen?

We've lost a helluva lot these past years including our status.

Don't despair it will return.