Rangers Growing Stateside

RANGERS Soccer Schools have reached far and wide this summer thanks to the club’s partnerships in North America.

There are now 31 partner clubs signed up thanks to Rangers’ association with Global Image Sports and the project could find a future Ibrox star.

Camps have been run across North America all summer thanks to Rangers' North American Academy and kids have the chance to train at Murray Park if they impress.

Overseas Development Officer Greg Statt said: “Last summer we signed up for a partnership with Global Image Sports and last year we had 13 camps out in the States and I’m happy to say that this year we have grown to 31.

“That includes our first ever national residential camp in America so it is has gone really well over the last 18 months.

“When we first started all our international camps it was about raising the brand awareness out there and getting some new younger fans on board in these places.

“But the number of kids that we are getting to work with now provides a good avenue for player ID and we are getting to see lots of players out in the States that we maybe wouldn’t have seen before.

“Those player’s clubs sign up to be a partner club of Rangers and our North American Academy and from there they would host a camp, so all their kids have the opportunity to come to a Rangers camp.

“From that camp our coaches would then pick the best players to come to the national camp which is in Atlanta in August.

“Then at national camp we will pick a smaller group that will make the trip to Murray Park to train with our coaches.

“I would be delighted if this identified some future Rangers players, Global Image Sports also represent West Ham and they have signed a player from their national camp.

“We would be thrilled if that happened for us but if we don’t we still get to keep tabs on all of the players at the clubs we are working with so it is a positive thing but if we got a player from it we would be over the moon.

“When we had 13 camps last summer it was the most we had ever run in one summer in North America so to then jump to 31 is testament to the work that the coaches did last summer.

“I never thought we would reach 31 camps in our second year but I am absolutely delighted.”

Rangers’ work has not just reached America; the club has been casting its net far and wide to provide training and opportunities to youngsters the world over.

Greg continued: “This year alone we have been in Italy, Malta and even Bermuda working with clubs and right now we’ve got two camps running in Australia, having also done one in New Zealand at Easter.

“The whole international programme is certainly getting bigger year on year.

“The amount of emails we get from the kids who come to the camps telling us that they are Rangers fans now and that they follow the team is incredible and I think that is fantastic.”

The Rangers North American Academy provides youth clubs in the region with the opportunity to partner with Scotland's most successful club.

All RNAA partner clubs will have the opportunity to host a player ID event at their own venue which will see hand picked, professional Rangers coaches fly from Glasgow to work with their players.

The clubs will also have the chance to bring their teams and coaches on a Team Tour to Scotland. Team Tours are a fabulous way to give your players and coach’s experience of travelling, training and playing like a professional.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/club-news/item/9556-rangers-growing-stateside

I am not embarrassed to admit that I am extremely proud that Greg mentions Bermuda in that article. The Club he is talking about is my son's Club of which I am the Treasurer (North Village Community Club). I spent an awful lot of time personally forging the relationship with Greg and Rangers. Greg also spent an awful lot of time on the relationship too. And I can say that the youth department at Rangers, through Greg and some of the other coaches I have had the pleasure of meeting, have been nothing short of exceptional and their professionalism knows no bounds.

I can't speak highly enough of Greg and some of the other coaches that work alongside him. Their love of Rangers is abundantly clear and you can tell that they work tirelessly in the pursuit of the best players in the area and you also can be assured that they work tirelessly on the WHOLE child - not just the talent and their football, but how those children are doing at school, how life is in general.

Thoroughly professional guys with a genuine love of the game and the kids they coach. I have been, and continue to be, honoured to have dealt with all of them (they know who they are !!).

I have said this before, but certainly at the younger age groups the work that goes into these children from these coaches really cant be complained about.

I am not embarrassed to admit that I am extremely proud that Greg mentions Bermuda in that article. The Club he is talking about is my son's Club of which I am the Treasurer (North Village Community Club). I spent an awful lot of time personally forging the relationship with Greg and Rangers. Greg also spent an awful lot of time on the relationship too. And I can say that the youth department at Rangers, through Greg and some of the other coaches I have had the pleasure of meeting, have been nothing short of exceptional and their professionalism knows no bounds.

I can't speak highly enough of Greg and some of the other coaches that work alongside him. Their love of Rangers is abundantly clear and you can tell that they work tirelessly in the pursuit of the best players in the area and you also can be assured that they work tirelessly on the WHOLE child - not just the talent and their football, but how those children are doing at school, how life is in general.

Thoroughly professional guys with a genuine love of the game and the kids they coach. I have been, and continue to be, honoured to have dealt with all of them (they know who they are !!).

I have said this before, but certainly at the younger age groups the work that goes into these children from these coaches really cant be complained about.

Craig,

The next time you're talking to Greg, can you ask him if he has any plans to operate clubs in Canada, and when?

Craig,

The next time you're talking to Greg, can you ask him if he has any plans to operate clubs in Canada, and when?

I speak to Greg fairly frequently and he is very responsive bud :)

PM me your details and I can get you in contact with Greg, or if you know of a Club that may be interested in having a partnership with Rangers then get me their details too :thup:

They actually have "contacts" in Canada. Andy Kennedy (ex Gers player and also ex youth coach at Rangers) runs an Academy in Ajax, TO. Our Bermuda kids are headed there next month and it is, I believe, the first time that Rangers will have run an overseas camp for an overseas club but not in the country of either Rangers or the Club. Greg was quite excited by that fact.

What I will say is that Rangers are more than open to forging relationships at the youth level pretty much anywhere globally. Greg has worked tirelessly on this front for a few years now. They do have certain demands of the Clubs (mainly due to ensuring safety of the children) which we found to be more than reasonable.

Canada would be a natural fit for Rangers.

Greg's current claim to fame is that he coached Lewis McLeod in the Rangers youths :D

Edited by craig