Sheffield Wednesday release 11 players including defender Lewis Buxton.

Sheffield Wednesday have released 11 players, including defender Lewis Buxton.

The 31-year-old joined the Hillsborough side from Stoke City in January 2009 after a successful loan spell and made 181 league appearances.

Also going are Giles Coke, Paul Corry, Rafa Floro, Dejan Kelhar, Gary Madine, Joe Mattock, Jacques Maghoma, Rhys McCabe, Matt Young and Kamil Zayatte.

The Owls finished 13th in the Championship this season.

They have offered new deals to goalkeeper Chris Kirkland, defender Glenn Loovens, midfielders Kieran Lee and Jose Semedo and forward Chris Maguire.

Kirkland, 34, made eight appearances this season after losing the number one jersey to Keiren Westwood while Loovens, 31, played 28 times before injury curtailed his campaign at the end of January.

Lee, 26, has made 82 appearances for the Owls since joining from Oldham in June 2012.

Portuguese Semedo, 30, played 33 times while Maguire, 27, scored eight goals in 46 games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32596487

Did Giles Coke not play for Motherwell? I seem to remember him getting good reviews although I never really seen him play. It goes to show, these guys think they're superstars because they can hack it in Scotland, but then fail in the English lower leagues.

McCabe gets all he deserves.

He plays the same position as Murdoch -- I think Murdoch is better. Not for me: he's made his bed...

McCabe was man of the match in the 3-2 win over Celtic and was exceptional. I don't think Murdoch is anywhere near that level.

McCabe might have turned out to be a mediocre Championship player but most of our squad would be mediocre league 2 or Conference players.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy