SPFL to have a new sponsor ‘by next season’

I remember people saying Sky would never accept us getting demoted. To be honest I don't think Sky give much of a shit about the Scottish game. I think they see it as a service to keep the few people who are paying subscriptions to them happy.

There are millions of 'OF' fans all over the world...they would lose more than 'Scottish' subscriptions if they stopped showing football up here.

Besides most people in Scotland have Sky to watch everything that isn't football.

Whether or not Rangers come through the play-offs won’t affect negotiations because we are not selling the Old Firm

There has been some belting shite coming from their corner over the years but that is funny. Why wouldn't they just admit something like "the value of the deal depends on Rangers v Celtic games as it attracts as much viewers as any other big game in Europe (well it used to)". I think people ay applaud a bit of honesty and every chairman in the league knows that Rangers being promoted sells them more season tickets and brings in more TV revenue for them.

I think they could even say it doesn't have to be Rangers. If Hibs and Hearts are in the league then the Edinburgh derby also brings in added value albeit nothing near as much as Rangers v Celtic.

I think its safe to say if Rangers and possibly Hibs are in the Championship next season then league reconstruction will be rolled out.

Edited by Gribz

• 2 months later...
Chris McLaughlin ‏@BBCchrismclaug 49m49 minutes ago

SPFL agrees 3 year deal allowing Scottish Football to be shown on mainstream TV in China for first time. Worth around 500k a year.

https://twitter.com/BBCchrismclaug

BIG WOWEEEE....just what will the SPFL do with all this chinese money ?

Compared to other countries TV deals, the word 'peanuts' springs to mind.

There are millions of 'OF' fans all over the world...they would lose more than 'Scottish' subscriptions if they stopped showing football up here.

The problem is that when they don't show Scottish football they don't lose enough subscriptions as too many Scots and others interested in SPFL will still subscribe for the EPL. We have very little leverage. Every Scottish football fan that subscribes to watch the EPL inadvertently damages our game.

Besides most people in Scotland have Sky to watch everything that isn't football.

I really doubt that, and expect FreeView and FreeSat to be the most popular platforms to watch telly in Scotland - mainly because they are free. But in any case the problem with Sky's subscription model is that you can't pick and choose very much and so you tend to have to buy the sport as an all or nothing thing, and it's pretty steep. So just because you already have Sky doesn't mean it's a given that you'll get the sport.

As a Rangers fan, I think it's cheaper to go to the games than watch them on the telly on your own - if you live locally and don't watch the rest of the sports package. That's why I won't get SKY, it'll cost me about 700+ quid a year to watch something like 18 Rangers games, and I'm not interested in the EPL or the vast majority of the rest of the stuff included in the package, including the land line.