We're On Our Toes

STUART MCCALL doesn’t know whether he will be in charge of Rangers next season but he says that he and his staff are staying on their toes with potential new signings.

When asked at today’s pre-Falkirk press conference if preparations for next year have started, McCall said the football department are being mindful of what is required for next season irrespective of his own future at the club.

He said: "I've been speaking to a lot of agents and putting a lot of things in place if and when anything happens.

"Even if I am not here, if I am getting players put to me who would like to come to Rangers regardless of who the manager is, then we build a portfolio of positions that will be needed for next year.

"We are not standing still so we don't find ourselves in a position that come May 31st or June 1st we have to spring into action. As you can imagine there are a lot of agents who contact us and we will then build a dossier as a staff of who we think would be good for next season, regardless of the league we are in.

"Regardless of whether I am in charge or not, I still want the best for the club and I will put my view across to the board about who should and shouldn't be coming into the club and who should still be here and we'll take it from there.”

He continued: "I think there has been discussion behind the scenes here with different people about things like scouting.

“I don't think we are at a stage where we were maybe ten or fifteen years ago when we were aiming to get into the Champions League and bring players in for £3 or 4 million.

"I don't think that we'll be at a stage next season where we will need international scouts everywhere – but certainly a scouting network needs to be put in place.

"Having said that and from speaking to Craig Levein at Hearts, they do a lot of their scouting using products like WyScout. You can see so much now online.

"When I brought Henrik Ojamaa into Motherwell, it was from a clip that I had seen on YouTube and we sold him for £350,000, so to get him for nothing was great.

"You can do background work, but talking personally I would always like to go and see a player. I think that I've only ever signed one player that I've never seen and I slightly regretted it. We need a scouting network, but not one that's based all over the world for now."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9138-were-on-our-toes