McCall: Shane Ferguson has 'lifted' Rangers despite not making debut yet

Rangers boss Stuart McCall has heaped praise on winger Shane Ferguson.

Rangers manager Stuart McCall has told the club's official website that Shane Ferguson has given training sessions a lift with his quality.

Rangers remain in second place in the Scottish Championship even after Hibs' 3-1 win over Livingston tonight, and will be looking to tighten their grip on the top play-off spot when they face Falkirk at Ibrox this weekend.

McCall has enjoyed a great start to life as Rangers boss, with Newcastle loanee Haris Vuckic scoring on a regular basis to aid the club's push for promotion back to the top flight.

Vuckic is one of five Newcastle loanees who joined Rangers on deadline day, but is the only one to have made an impact so far, with injuries hampering the other four.

Now though, one of them is closing in on a Rangers debut, with winger Shane Ferguson back in training - and he even featured in a Rangers Under-20 match against Celtic on Monday.

The Northern Ireland international hasn't kicked a ball for Rangers yet due to injuries, but could hand McCall a real boost by being fit for the play-off run-in.

Speaking to the Rangers official website, McCall admitted that Ferguson could now play a part, whilst also noting that he has given training sessions a lift because of the quality he brings - no doubt a by-product of being a Premier League player.

"I said after the first time that I met him that his mental approach as well as his physical approach impressed me. He might play a part between now and the end of the season hopefully," said McCall.

"I was speaking to [Rangers Under-20 coach Ian] Durrant and he said that at the training session they had on the Sunday, he lifted it with his ability, his quality and his technique and everyone followed that which was good. He said that his standard was very good which followed through into the game on the Monday," he added.

Sorry for spoiling your evening Gunslinger.

Ferguson would be a massive gamble as he hasnt played for so long.

I think McCall simply has to get his tactics spot-on if we're to get promoted via these play-offs. Accommodating both Vuckic and Ferguson in the same team may be difficult IMO.

Our own youths contribute more and deserve priority.

How do you know they "contribute more" when Ferguson has not played? You are stating the results of a comparison that has yet to take place. Then again, you did the same, and startlingly incorrectly, re Vuckic.

Lets not prejudge (again) Naturally, playing anyone who has been out so long is always a risk, but you never know, he might have learnt some things when playing against Italy, Denmark and Serbia that our youths have not yet come across in the rarified atmosphere of lower league or youth Scottish what-passes-for football.

Anyway, why is it an either/or? It is our senior players who most need to be replaced.

Edited by SteveC