SPFL in line to net £1million windfall from Rangers

Wouldn't the SPFL determine the price of the tickets? Ideally, you would want to find a solution whereby Rangers are retaining the vast majority of the income for our home leg, but I am sure that all teams would do exactly the same thing to ensure that the SPFL gets as little as possible.

Would absolutely love it if we sold the match programmes for GBP20 and gave away a free match ticket, but I cant see the SPFL accepting this somehow!

how will the money be distributed ?

I found this in the Herald

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...cess.122614784

The governing body is entitled to 50 per-cent of all ticket revenue from the knockout matches - before costs - and it will bring in a sum beyond their wildest dreams.

Remarkably, Rangers are on course to pay out more than double the prize money of £342,000 they will receive if they finish second and go on to reach the Premiership play-off final.

Assuming the Light Blues take on and beat Hibs in the semi-final and then face either St Mirren, Motherwell or Ross County, two 50,000 Ibrox crowds will bring in well in excess of £2million.

Not only will Rangers have to hand over half of this revenue, they are required to do so within seven days of each match.

However, Rangers will have to wait until August to get the bulk of their entitled prize money - £232,000 of the £342,000 for finishing runners-up.

Regulation C26 states: "A levy of 50% of the monies (gross excluding VAT) received or receivable by the Home Club for all Play-Off Matches played in the Premiership/Championship PlayOff Competition from all admission charges paid and payable to and for the relevant Play-Off Match shall be paid by the Home Club to the Company within seven days of the date on which each Play-Off Match is played."

The stinging clause will also hammer Hibs who will have to hand over half of their ticket revenue from their involvement in the play-off - and that could be over £200,000.

They had to do the same last year when they lost to Hamilton Accies although the parachute payment of £500,000 eased the pain.

Ironically, chairman Rod Petrie was instrumental in pushing through this clause when the play-off procedure was introduced by the SPFL.

It was revealed last week that Newcastle United are due a payment of £500,000 if Rangers are promoted under the terms of a deal agreed by Derek Llambias, the ousted chief executive and former Magpies managing director, over the loan of five players.

Only Haris Vuckic has played regularly with Remie Streete lasting less than 45 minutes and the other three Kevin Mbabu, Gael Bigirimana and Shane Ferguson are all injured and unlikely to play at all.

So, incredibly, it is going to cost Rangers over £1.2million to get back up to the top flight.

On top of that, the SPFL is still involved in a battle with the Light Blues over the payment of a £250,000 fine imposed on the oldco for breaching EBT regulations.

The governing body claims that former chief executive Graham Wallace agreed liability on behalf of the newco but in a statement last December, Rangers said they were fighting this.

The SPFL then indicated they would withhold prize money from Rangers to cover the payment of this fine but the Ibrox club subsequently appealed to the Scottish FA.

A judicial panel has yet to meet to decide the matter and in the interim the SPFL has continued to make the staggered payments.

I find it hard to believe the member clubs agreed to this and I'm sceptical of its veracity. 50% before costs? Absolutely ludicrous. The whole point is to create some extra income for the clubs at the end of the season (as well as creating a bit of excitement for the fans), so why agree to give it away? Can't see how they could sell 20% after costs, never mind 50%before. But then everything was propositioned and rail-roaded as a huge package, and that's how you dupe them...

Rangers can get by with this as a one-off, but it's denying bread and butter to the yo-yo clubs year after year.

We must challenge this extreme profiteering from the scumbags running the game in this country. What right have they to claim gate money from a league match, which this essentially still is. The paltry prize money on offer is incomparable.

The alternative is to give the game away free to season ticket holders and ask our supporters to donate what they feel is right to the club via buckets outside the turnstiles, or ask everyone to buy as many rising stars tickets as they feel appropriate for these play-off games.

If the SPFL would still be entitled to a cut of ST money, then sell the tickets at a fiver and tell them this is a reward for our loyalty and patience during this difficult season. If we done that I would buy 8 rising star tickets to make up the difference.

I honestly believe that these types of ideas should be put to the Club management. We should take a stance and find a way of getting the money into RANGERS coffers and not those of the parasites who tried to kill us but still live off us.

I honestly believe that these types of ideas should be put to the Club management. We should take a stance and find a way of getting the money into RANGERS coffers and not those of the parasites who tried to kill us but still live off us.

There will be rules to prevent it.

Various clubs around Scotland from the top flight down to the lower leagues have introduced very cheap ticket deals and some have even introduced 'pay what you can afford' entry to matches, so there's absolutely nothing stopping a club from selling very cheap tickets.

Obviously if Rangers sold play-off match tickets for £5 they would need to price the tickets for the visiting team the same, as it's prohibited to do otherwise.

From the spiffel rules & regs:

Admission Prices, Admission to Grounds and Ticket Distribution

I26 - The Home Club, in its absolute discretion, shall determine admission charges for League Matches and Play-Off Matches.

I31 - Except as provided in Rule I32, a Club which is the Home Club for a League Match or a Play-Off Match is prohibited from charging higher admission prices to accommodation designated for supporters of the Visiting Club than for broadly comparable accommodation designated for use by supporters of the Home Club at the same match.

Edited by Zappa