320k Raised From Ricksen Match

0aa02cf823004c2321ceed4a47bb1e2d_XL.jpg

RANGERS today presented cheques totalling £320,000 to Fernando Ricksen, his daughter Isabella, MND Scotland and the Rangers Charity Foundation.

The funds represent the profits from a tribute match held in Fernando’s honour at Ibrox on Sunday, 25 January 2015 following the devastating news that he has Motor Neurone Disease.

Fans turned out in their thousands to show their support, resulting in this amazing fundraising total which sees both charities, Fernando and his daughter each receive £80,000.

Fernando Ricksen commented: “It was a very emotional day for me at Ibrox and one I will never forget. I would like to thank the Club and everyone who helped to organise the game, including my good friends Victor Morgan, Stan Gordon and Vincent de Vries. Also special thanks to Connal Cochrane from the Rangers Charity Foundation.

“But most of all I would like to thank all the fans. Their support turned this game into something special which helps me to keep on fighting. I'm honoured to be part of a worldwide Rangers and football family.”

Rangers midfielder Nicky Law commented: “I am delighted to present the cheques to Fernando, Isabella, MND Scotland and the Rangers Charity Foundation today. It was a phenomenal amount of money raised in one game and shows the affection the fans have for Fernando.”

Rangers Charity Foundation Trustee Commander John Livesey and MND Scotland Chief Executive Craig Stockton were delighted to accept cheques on behalf of their respective charities.

Craig Stockton commented: “I am delighted to receive this money today for MND Scotland. £80,000 is a phenomenal amount and our thanks go to Rangers Football Club and all of the fans who attended the match. This money will be used to continue providing essential care and support to people living with MND.

“As a player, Fernando showed courage and strength on the field, characteristics which he has continued to show in his battle with MND and which were so visually demonstrated when he walked onto the pitch at the start of the game. Rangers fans have been inspired by Fernando and the support they have shown MND Scotland since is incredible. We have been truly overwhelmed.”

Commander Livesey added: "I'm delighted to accept this generous and meaningful donation on behalf of the Rangers Charity Foundation, which will contribute greatly to our continuous hard work in the community and with our charity partners.

“We are extremely grateful to benefit from the tribute match for Fernando on what was an unforgettable day. The fans should be hugely proud of their incredible generosity and support for a special member of the Rangers family."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/8913-320k-raised-from-ricksen-match