Rangers boss singles Andy Murdoch out for praise

The Gers boss was delighted with the 20-year-old's display against Hibernian.

It's not all doom and gloom at Rangers - well, according to boss Kenny McDowall anyway.

Indeed, the Rangers coach took it upon himself to single 20-year-old Andy Murdoch out for praise after his side's 2-0 loss to Hibernian on Friday night, as quoted by the club's official website.

The home defeat marked another frustrating day for Rangers as a whole but their manager found a positive in the young midfielder.

McDowall said he didn't intend to single anyone out but found Murdoch's performance against Hibernian simply too 'fantastic' to ignore.

The Gers man was booked for his efforts but still came away with glowing praise from his coach after putting in a 90-minute shift.

"It's absolutely fantastic. It wasn’t my intention to single people out but Andy has been tremendous and I thought he went in and did a fantastic job tonight," McDowall said.

“First and foremost, he is a fantastic footballer but he's got energy about him in the middle of the park. He shuts things down quickly and does a great job."

The Hibs defeat, nevertheless, sees Rangers drop a place to third in the Scottish Championship - 19 points off league-leaders Hearts.

I must admit I was not that impressed by him. I remember thinking on Friday night that Templeton would have been better in that position than Murdoch. He was pretty non existent in the first half. That was just my view. I am glad that he at least got a chance though.

I thought Murdoch did indeed show a lot of energy but seemed to be well off the pace and was frequently caught in possession. I think "absolutely fantastic" is a bit wide of the mark.

We may see what he's made of if he gets a half a dozen games.

One thing seems sure, McDowall has little or no time for Black and that's a blessing.

Throwing in a young lad whilst we're in the middle of this run of defeats isn't the best idea in my opinion.

I don't think there's much point criticising decisions that get made because rarely does anything logical happen at the club. Young players like Murdoch certainly shouldn't have to wait until 20 before getting anywhere near the first team and you imagine his exposure will be very fleeting. Seems he was played out of position too, though I missed the game as I was traveling.

Singling out Murdoch is designed to boost his confidence after an up and down full debut, where, as many have said, he showed flashes but also looked a bit lost at times. It also deflects attention away from the hapless crew wearing the other shirts.

It might be that we've been managed so badly for so long that we don't recognise a half decent attempt at it when we see one.