Gary jets 3,700 miles from Afghanistan to see Rangers...

...but joins the protests instead

IN the desert sands of Afghanistan, Gary McNeil longed to see the Blue Sea of Ibrox once again.

18325650%20copy.jpg

But the lifelong Rangers fan didn't get further than the front door of Ibrox after jetting 3,700 miles back to Glasgow from Kandahar.

Instead of going to see his team in action for the first time in a year as Kenny McDowall's side faced Raith Rovers in the Scottish Cup, Gary joined the hundreds of fans on Edmiston Drive to protest at the under-fire board.

The boardroom battle continues to dominate the agenda at Rangers, with thousands of fans staying away in protest at the way their club is being run.

And Mr McNeill will return to Kandahar, where he is an electrical supervisor in a NATO hospital, without seeing a ball kicked as he gets set to take to the streets rather than take a seat for the Championship fixture with Hibernian tomorrow night.

He told the Evening Times: "I do a rotation of eleven weeks on, three weeks off. I am home on leave for the first time in a year.

"I gave up my season ticket in the Copland at the start of the season. With everything that has been going on, I decided not to renew.

"I follow the Sons of Struth, I am a lifetime member of the Rangers Supporters Trust and I decided to join the protest on Sunday.

"It definitely feels like the right thing to do. I have been a Rangers supporter since I was a lad and it is killing me that I can't go to the games but, in the grand scheme of things, it is way we need to go.

"I am here until a week on Saturday. I will go and join the protest again on Friday night."

Despite being thousands of miles from home, Gary has kept up to speed with the ever changing story at Ibrox as Dave King, Paul Murray and John Gilligan look to oust the board at next month's crunch EGM.

His family gave up their season tickets after several years in the summer but he hopes they, and many more fans, will soon be able to re-engage with the their club.

He said: "I always get the updates and keep up-to-date with what is happening. I used to see a lot of games on the TV but since the Brits left Afghanistan we don't get them so I don't really see any Scottish football.

"This is the first time I have been able to see them in months but I won't give the board my money.

"Hopefully the next time I am back there will have been a regime change and Dave, Paul and John will be on the board so we can see things improving on and off the park.

"I used to be a member of the Joburg Rangers Supporters Club, I stayed in South Africa for 15 years.

"I met Dave a long time ago but I am still in touch with a few boys from the club and they speak very highly of him."

It is not just match tickets that Gary has refused to buy this season. On his next leave from Afghanistan in a few months time, he will visit his wife Belta, son Archie Moses and step daughter Emily at their home in Nairobi but there will be no Gers gifts.

He said: "My wife is not happy because I have come back and I am not taking them anything. This is the first time Archie has not had a Rangers strip.

"Normally I buy all the merchandise but they are not getting another penny from me."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/gary-jets-37000-from-afghanistan-to-see-rangers-but-joins-the-protests-197124n.118281706

Do they even care what we or anyone else thinks about them? Can't help feel the minute the good guys win the EGM vote Ashley will call in the loan and possibly aim for insolvency or Dave King paying him straight back. Even after the EGM all sorts of shite will be flung around. They're shameless bastards with no morals.

I think that has been glaringly obvious for a long time now,sadly!.

Do they even care what we or anyone else thinks about them? Can't help feel the minute the good guys win the EGM vote Ashley will call in the loan and possibly aim for insolvency or Dave King paying him straight back. Even after the EGM all sorts of shite will be flung around. They're shameless bastards with no morals.

If the Easdales get booted out I think there's a distinct possibility that either Sandy or BPH will lodge another EGM requisition.

That's possible but what chance have they got of winning? Whatever happens in the aftermath of King victory, it won't be pretty like some seem to think it'll be.

Even without a chance of winning a vote they might still chance their arm on the basis that calling EGMs will cost the company money, so they could try to do a director appointment deal in order to save the EGM costs.

I doubt that he will call in his loan while he has 75% of the retail business hanging on it. i think he will be trying to up his loan to make it as difficult to pay back possible.

As the largest creditor an insolvency event is likely to favour him. In his world he could see that as an avenue to get back in with complete control. Of course, I could be speaking utter tripe.:)

If that is so then maybe a deal between king and the 3 bears to sell some shares to make king the largest. Although Ashely could probably buy the 26% Easdale Proxy if he wanted to.