Ibrox keeper Bell hopes to be back in action by the end of the month

CAMMY BELL hopes he will be back playing by the end of the month after stepping up his recovery from shoulder surgery.

Christopher Jack

Christopher Jack Sports Journalist

Wednesday 11/02/2015

4 Comments

Print

The Rangers keeper has not made an appearance for the club since being crocked against Falkirk in August, with deputy Steve Simonsen filling in between the sticks for the Light Blues.

Bell has had to look on as the Gers have toiled in the Championship and crashed out of all three cup competition this term, including Sunday's shock William Hill Scottish Cup exit at the hands of Raith Rovers.

But the former Killie shot-stopper is confident he is on the right track as he bids to get back on the park as quickly as possible.

He said: "I'm probably about another week or two away from being back training properly with the other goalkeepers.

"I was out diving on it yesterday and it felt good, so I'm looking forward to getting back working with the goalies again.

"There's been no reaction to working on it yesterday and that was really good news.

"The physio had a look at it this morning, so it's now about building it back up day by day.

"I'll be training in the morning and the afternoon now to try to get back fit as quickly as possible.

"I'm hoping to play a reserve game by the end of this month and that is my main aim.

"It may be faster than that or it might be a bit longer, but that is the kind of timescale I'm looking at.

"It was a serious injury and I've come this far with it, so there's no point in trying to push it too hard.

"If I need to take a step back then I'll take a step back, but I'm desperate to return and I just hope that my timescale will be pretty quick and back sooner rather than later.

"I'll be training all day to try to get back as quickly as I can because I'm desperate to play football again."

Bell has undoubtedly been a big miss for Rangers in recent months and his return to action will be warmly welcomed by supporters as he gets set to challenge Simonsen for the Ibrox gloves again this term.

He had to go under the knife to cure damage sustained in a training session and is pleased to have crossed a mental barrier in recent days.

"It's a massive step to get back diving again," Bell told rangers.co.uk

"The way that it dislocated was when I was diving, so psychologically it's a big step for me. I've been there before with injuries and I think that once you dive on it for the first time you just carry on from there.

"It's a big step and it's a step that I've been looking forward to for a long time - especially in the last few weeks when I've been working on handling and some small diving - but it'll be good to get back into a normal routine in the next couple of weeks."

Please! Please! Please!:drummer:

Ready To Make An Impact

Written by Rangers Football Club

RANGERS number one Cammy Bell has missed almost five months of football this season and he's relishing the hard work that he'll have to put in to get back fit and wearing the jersey.

Bell is back in training after a torrid time out following a dislocated shoulder he sustained in a match against Falkirk early this season. He's back diving on his shoulder and will be back working with the rest of the goalkeepers at the club shorty and as part of the Gers defence.

The keeper caught up with RangersTV this week and said, "I hope that I can make a positive impact when I come back into the team. All I can do is work hard and bring my presence back into the team.

"I think that the defenders are comfortable with the way that I play the game as they've played with me a lot before and that will be the same when I get to know the new faces we have.

"Hopefully I can bring a positive impact to the team when I come back and can keep clean sheets as that's my job.

Bell has only played three competitive games this season before injury, with backup Steve Simonsen playing 28 games and keeping 12 clean sheets in that time. Last season Bell kept 22 clean sheets from 35 games he played in, but the keeper thinks that the difference in standard of opposition has made an impact.

He said, "I think that Simmo has done well this season when he has come in; he's an experienced goalkeeper and I think that we do play slightly differently.

"Hopefully I can come in when I get the opportunity to make an impact to the team. Some might have said that the defence hasn't been as good this season, but we've been up against tougher opposition.

"We're looking to keep clean sheets every game and to let our attacking players go and win us games.

"It's something that we'll look to improve on between now and the end of the season and if we can keep more clean sheets I think that will stand us in good stead to either push for the title or to find some good form for the playoffs.

Bell will be training with the loan signings from Newcastle for the first time in the coming days and he hopes that his own return will have a similar impact to the team for the remainder of the season.

He said, "I think that it will be a little bit like a new signing for the team as I've only played three games this season.

"It will be like another new player along with the other new boys who have come in from Newcastle in the last day of the window.

"Hopefully I can have an impact when I come back into the team and it'd be exciting for me to get back playing again and in the team. I've really missed it and it's been a hard five months.

"I have quite a bit of experience so hopefully I can bring that to the team and bring the confidence that I have into the team.

"Hopefully I can help the defence and we know that we are still in a big fight between now until the end of the season.

"The title is still there to win, we know that it's going to be difficult but it's not finished yet. If it doesn't come down to the title then we know that we need to be in good form for the playoffs.