i see MacLeod as a player like young James McCarthy and can see him taking a similar route down south and then making as good an impact.

I don't think he has that 'gallus' streak that McCarthy had to be honest. Lewis reminds me more of Stephen Hughes. Tidy in patches, quite neat passer, decent football brain at times - but just doesn't have that extra 'oomph' that is required to take him to the 'next level'.

I'd like to be proved wrong, but I think McLeod may not go on to as big as things as people are expecting/assuming.

Hughes is a really nice guy, but lacked that competitive streak that would have made him a great player.

I've spoken to him a few times in my local just 200 yards from where I stay (the last time being just back in May when I was last in there) and he's an absolutely brilliant guy. I think he tried to pick me up off the ground at closing time. :whistle:

Hughes is a really nice guy, but lacked that competitive streak that would have made him a great player.

yes - and that's what I also see in McLeod.

IMO, I can see him going the same way as Hughes. Decent wee career but struggling to fulfill any potential and just not having that extra bit of dig or gallus streak in him to achieve further greatness and all that stuff.

he is much better than hughes imho.

Yes, he's probably better - but my comparison was more on the fact that I see similar personalities and confidence levels around the pitch. And does he have the necessary mental drive to succeed and push on to a genuine higher level of performance ?

McLeod has been 'tidy' for us and nabbed the odd goal here and there. But considering the level of opposition he has been coming up against in the last couple of years, he hasn't exactly dominated or really 'bossed' many games - or really tried to. I'd like to see far more from him in that respect. Plays too much on the fringes of a game and can go missing for longish periods. To me, that is a sign that he lacks a certain level of hunger and desire - and maybe confidence. So, in that respect, I kind of see some comparison to Hughes.

Edited by MoodyBlue

i don't think he lacks confidence. i see him doing overhead kicks and driving at players all the time.

quite the opposite imho.

I know what you're saying - he does have talent and he does posess a decent football brain........but, I feel he lacks that 'something' that can make a genuine difference to enable hime to have much stronger performances. Hughes did some good things with the ball and went on runs and had good touches etc. But nowhere near enough. Consistency is what I'm looking for from McLeod. The manager isn't helping the situation, but the lad needs to take the bull by the horns in games. If he can't do this against pub players that we face week in week out he really doesn't stand much of a chance of going to a higher level. He's nowhere near ready for a game at Newcastle for example.

I know what you're saying - he does have talent and he does posess a decent football brain........but, I feel he lacks that 'something' that can make a genuine difference to enable hime to have much stronger performances. Hughes did some good things with the ball and went on runs and had good touches etc. But nowhere near enough. Consistency is what I'm looking for from McLeod. The manager isn't helping the situation, but the lad needs to take the bull by the horns in games. If he can't do this against pub players that we face week in week out he really doesn't stand much of a chance of going to a higher level. He's nowhere near ready for a game at Newcastle for example.

It's not very fair to make judgments on the lad when he's being asked to play wide in order to accommodate others in central midfield.

At the same time though, it says a lot about how highly regarded he is that he can get a game in a wider position before certain natural wide players and as a few folk have mentioned previously on the forum, it's actually good experience for him too.