There's absolutely no way that a team who've won two consecutive qualifying rounds of the CL 6-1 aggregate in both cases should be treated with the contempt of one muppet at UEFA ejecting them from the competition with a rubber stamp because of a small clerical/secretarial error.

There should always be room for maneuver in rules & regs when it comes to matters as serious as teams being ejected from competitions. If the Chairman at the disciplinary body genuinely disagrees with that, then he should have his rubber stamp firmly rammed up his arse.

The rule is there in black and white and has nothing to do with ejecting teams from a competition. The same sanction would have been meted out had it been 5-1 in the first leg.

The rule is there in black and white and has nothing to do with ejecting teams from a competition. The same sanction would have been meted out had it been 5-1 in the first leg.

It's clearly an emotive subject for some but I think this is a very important point that should not be overlooked.

If just one of the two penalties that Legia missed in the first leg had gone in then the 3-0 award of the second leg would not have seen Legia "ejected" from the competition.

They weren't ejected, they lost the tie on the away goals rule after the second leg was declared forfeit in accordance with the rules as is made clear in the Appeal.

I would like to have a read up on the rules they quote in the Appeal to see whether or not they might have grounds for overturning the mandatory penalty but I doubt it.

Firstly, it most certainly is about ejecting teams from a competition because a compulsory forfeit and 3-0 win awarded to an opponent will eject most teams from a competition.

Secondly, I'd like to try to break away from the circular nature of the discussion here, so just let me ask you this: If it was Rangers in Legia's position, would you feel that such a heavy punishment was appropriate for a minor clerical error?

Firstly, it most certainly is about ejecting teams from a competition because a compulsory forfeit and 3-0 win awarded to an opponent will eject most teams from a competition.

Secondly, I'd like to try to break away from the circular nature of the discussion here, so just let me ask you this: If it was Rangers in Legia's position, would you feel that such a heavy punishment was appropriate for a minor clerical error?

Yes, but it would sting like hell.

Straight back at you.

Would you be campaigning for Celtic to be reinstated had they cocked up their paperwork in their CL QF tie against Rangers? :D

There's no breach of the regulations Zappa:

UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body consists of a chairman, two vice-chairmen and seven other members.

The Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has jurisdiction to rule on disciplinary issues and all other matters which fall within its jurisdiction pursuant to the UEFA Statutes or regulations adopted by the UEFA Executive Committee.

The Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body shall, as a rule, reach decisions in the presence of all its members, but is entitled to take a decision if at least three of its members are present.

The chairman of the Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body, one of its vice-chairmen or one of its members acting as ad hoc chairman may make a decision as a judge sitting alone if the sanction is limited to a warning, a reprimand, a fine of up to €8,000, a player suspension or a suspension from carrying out a function for up to two matches, as well as in urgent cases.

In particularly urgent cases (especially regarding admission to, or exclusion from, UEFA competitions) the chairman can refer the case directly to the Appeals Body for decision.

http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/disciplinary-cases/control-and-disciplinary-body/index.html

I think you have highlighted the wrong point here, BH. Look at the next sentence.

Surely with such a far reaching punishment the chairman should have handed this directly to the Appeals Body.

If nothing else, he would have nullified any "conflict of interest" ruminations flying around, especially having our "sporting integrity" friends involved.

There's no breach of the regulations Zappa:

UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body consists of a chairman, two vice-chairmen and seven other members.

The Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body has jurisdiction to rule on disciplinary issues and all other matters which fall within its jurisdiction pursuant to the UEFA Statutes or regulations adopted by the UEFA Executive Committee.

The Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body shall, as a rule, reach decisions in the presence of all its members, but is entitled to take a decision if at least three of its members are present.

The chairman of the Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body, one of its vice-chairmen or one of its members acting as ad hoc chairman may make a decision as a judge sitting alone if the sanction is limited to a warning, a reprimand, a fine of up to €8,000, a player suspension or a suspension from carrying out a function for up to two matches, as well as in urgent cases.

In particularly urgent cases (especially regarding admission to, or exclusion from, UEFA competitions) the chairman can refer the case directly to the Appeals Body for decision.

http://www.uefa.org/disciplinary/disciplinary-cases/control-and-disciplinary-body/index.html

I think you have highlighted the wrong point here, BH. Look at the next sentence.

Surely with such a far reaching punishment the chairman should have handed this directly to the Appeals Body.

If nothing else, he would have nullified any "conflict of interest" ruminations flying around, especially having our "sporting integrity" friends involved.

That's precisely why I underlined "can". He did indeed have that option but then the same time factor would have applied as if he tried to convene his own panel.

Basically he had an hour to make a decision. He might have been wiser to try to organise a teleconference OR bat it off on the Appeals Committee as you suggest; but he chose not to.

Without doubt he would have been advised by the UEFA Secretariat as to precedents etc; I strongly suspect they would have prepared a paper for him to consider with an outcome already suggested. He would not just have sat in a dark room and meditated for an hour. I am quite sure that some discussions would have taken place, even if ultimately it has been presented as one man's decision.

Note that if he had sent it direct to the Appeals Committee there would have been no further appeal available within UEFA (unless they have a procedure for a second Appeal Tribunal to hear the same case, which I doubt) but I haven't checked. So he might have been advised against that route.

In any event none of this constitutes grounds for Appeal.

Sorry haven't had time to check the Rules they have cited; but you'll know the outcome tomorrow anyway, so not much point in further speculation.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
typo

LEGIA Warsaw have called on Uefa to follow its own “football first” principle when their appeal against their Champions League expulsion is heard.

Uefa’s control and disciplinary body will today hear Legia’s appeal against the decision to award Celtic a 3-0 second-leg victory after the Polish champions’ registration error for bringing on Bartosz Bereszynski, who had not been registered for the previous round.

A statement from Legia said: “We are deeply convinced this beautiful game should be based on universal values... Those values, widely accepted by the entire European football family, are: football first, fair play and respect.”

Legia have vowed to take their case to the Court of Arbitration of Sport in Switzerland should today’s appeal to Uefa fail.

It has also emerged on Monday that the Legia administrator who made the mistake, Marta Ostrowska, had received death threats following the error.

In a statement the Polish club said Uefa could have reduced the sanction against them or even “nullify it altogether” if it looked at both the objective and subjectives aspects of their case.

“We wish to inform that the above mentioned argumentation will be used by the club at every stage of the appeal process,” Legia said.

Celtic have been drawn against NK Maribor of Slovenia in the Champions League playoff round on Au

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/legia-urges-uefa-to-put-football-first-in-appeal-1-3506668

'Celtic fans should feel ashamed'

Gary Keown

Wednesday 13 August 2014

DARIUSZ DZIEKANOWSKI has launched a blistering assault on his former club Celtic by branding them "the laughing stock of world football" and insisting they will only go on to shame themselves on the field again should they be given the green light to remain in the Champions League.

Dziekanowski, who works as a UEFA delegate, has been appalled by the refusal of the Parkhead management to indulge in any form of dialogue with Legia Warsaw ahead of this morning's appeal against the Polish club being effectively expelled from European football's premier competition for fielding a suspended player.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...hamed.25031037