New defence required

Guest wezgers

Yeah a new centre half is still required now Webster is out. Davie Weir would be ideal short term. David Unsworth was available last week and signed for someone on a free. We could have went in for him short time aswell.

I think there is a possibility that Webster (if he signs perm) and Svensson could form a partnership, but at the moment we need a solid no nonsense centre half.

Sorry but i think it is a sad day when we are being sorry Marvin Andrews left the club. He possibly was a reasonable defender but he was hopeless when he got the ball. Surely Rangers should have a better class of player than him.

Sorry but i think it is a sad day when we are being sorry Marvin Andrews left the club. He possibly was a reasonable defender but he was hopeless when he got the ball. Surely Rangers should have a better class of player than him.

With a decent midfield and full backs, Andrews wouldn't need ball skills. A short pass to a player who could do something with the ball is all that is required of a centre back after solid defensive duties.

With a decent midfield and full backs, Andrews wouldn't need ball skills. A short pass to a player who could do something with the ball is all that is required of a centre back after solid defensive duties.

.... and he can also header the ball from one box to the friggin other. :D

For some reason many of our fans prefer defends who can't tackle or head but look good passing simple balls out of defence.

Andrews had his weaknesses and they were obvious to all, but he is a million times better at the back than a defensive midfielder who's scared to tackle and head.

My old man was an Ayr Utd fan and he knew someone who played under Ally McLeod back in the early 70's.

Ally took this centre-half aside and simply said "son, all I want you to do is header the ball as far away from our goal as you can, make clean tackles and if the ball comes to you at your feet then I want you to either lump it up the pitch or put it in row Z - if I wanted you to play football I wouldn't have you in defence".

Now, I know the game is a bit more cultured and we would love to have players that can do everything - but IMO a defender is, first and foremost, a defender - clear your lines under pressure is fine by me - trying to be a smart-arse, losing the ball on the 18 yd line to concede a goal is criminal for a defender IMO (and I was more of a ball-playing LB when I played - but defenders are employed primarily to defend - the fancy ball-playing stuff is for when you are cruising in a game, not at 0-0).

Eck, Willie Miller and Gough were all well known for the "hoof!"

I play centre half and although wouldn't presume I'm any good, McLeod's words are pretty much what I do, except if I can see if I have time, in which case I look for a good pass and if not a short pass to an open full back.