Hang on - that's the free kick which crashed off the bar!

And tbf, Fraser Aird's corner taking has come on from (in FM terms) virtually red to almost dark blue.

Which is still off target and is the closest Jig has ever come to executing one on goal, iirc. It's a dreadful lazy tactic which lacks ability, technique, creativity and balls and very very rarely works out. We would be as well rejecting the free kick and passing it back to the keeper. It's embarrassing that we are still relying on hit and hope.

Hang on - that's the free kick which crashed off the bar!

Yes, but look how close the Forfar player Kader gets to blocking it and there was another one in that game or the previous game with the same two touches before striking it which was completely blocked immediately after the ball was struck because an opposition player had enough time to run in and get to the ball as it was being struck.

I well remember Sevilla scoring against us at Ibrox from "a cleverly worked free-kick on 51 minutes Lolo shaped up to shoot from almost 40 metres on the left, then switched the ball crossfield to the unmarked Navas and his teasing cross was met by Konko who headed home." http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=soccer&id=4517249 if you need a painful reminder.

It really was unbelievably simple, just a pass to the right instead of a shot and Navas hit the bye line and the cut back left us wide open. It wasn't like an American Football move with everyone running in different directions.

Do our entire coaching squad lack the imagination or ingenuity to try something like that; seems like it.

Yes, but look how close the Forfar player Kader gets to blocking it and there was another one in that game or the previous game with the same two touches before striking it which was completely blocked immediately after the ball was struck because an opposition player had enough time to run in and get to the ball as it was being struck.

9 times out 10 the pressure from the rushing player puts the attacker off. There is no defence for that sort of free kick Zappa, it simply shouldn't be our best bet for scoring from dead balls. This is where training comes into it.

Guys like Koeman, Beckham, Juninho P and Nakamura all worked on their dead ball ability at their respective training HQs throughout their careers, Nakamura was still working on his into his 30's. He was so influential he influenced guys like Sean Maloney, Riordan, Mulgrew and Graham Carey into wanting to do the same. Credit to them and through gritted teeth credit to the Celtic coaches for encouraging it too.

I personally don't want our kids growing up thinking a one touch, smash hit and hope free kick is a way ahead. It's horrible to watch and must be soul destroying for any player with ambition and ability to better their own game to see.

9 times out 10 the pressure from the rushing player puts the attacker off. There is no defence for that sort of free kick Zappa, it simply shouldn't be our best bet for scoring from dead balls. This is where training comes into it.

Guys like Koeman, Beckham, Juninho P and Nakamura all worked on their dead ball ability at their respective training HQs throughout their careers, Nakamura was still working on his into his 30's. He was so influential he influenced guys like Sean Maloney, Riordan, Mulgrew and Graham Carey into wanting to do the same. Credit to them and through gritted teeth credit to the Celtic coaches for encouraging it too.

I personally don't want our kids growing up thinking a one touch, smash hit and hope free kick is a way ahead. It's horrible to watch and must be soul destroying for any player with ambition and ability to better their own game to see.

I have to admit it's driving me pretty mad. It's infuriating to watch. Every time you see Jig and 2 others around the ball for a free kick it seems almost a forgone conclusion that there's going to be a couple of touches before someone strikes it. It's just not what I want to see our players doing, especially when we all know there's players in that squad who're perfectly capable of curling free kicks into the top corner. I think what they're trying to do is play the laws of averages and try to feed off of deflections and rebounds, basically the scraps from the poor free kicks, but it's soul destroying to watch. I also think that if they were playing the laws of averages more astutely, then they'd probably score more goals from direct free kicks if they let guys like MacLeod, Templeton, Black or Law try to score direct by curling them towards the top corners.