Former Rangers boss Alex McLeish urges the Ibrox board not to sell stars to cut costs

Every time dross like this printed, £500k gets knocked off Lee's price tag.

The media are putting it about that we're desperate for cash.

Compare the Tims' starting press release of "xxx is capable of playing for Real/Barca and he's iworth £20m."

The fact Celtic players get linked with bigger moves is more to do with good PR and being a far better run club. Their players go for inflated fees, we generally pay our players off.

Every time dross like this printed, £500k gets knocked off Lee's price tag.

The media are putting it about that we're desperate for cash.

Compare the Tims' starting press release of "xxx is capable of playing for Real/Barca and he's iworth £20m."

If Toxic, or anyone at Rangers for that matter, had our best interests at heart they would do similar. Stories about Waldo being Premiership class, links to here, there and everywhere and values way in excess of reality but we have no interest in selling.

But we don't. Transfer market wise, as a club, we are completely clueless and have been for going on 20 years.

Edited by Super Cooper

I think there is a compliant press as regards putting out the Celtic party line - whether they are aware of it or not.

I'm not sure how inept we have been in that area over the years. Hutton, Boumsong, Cuellar all went for good fees.

However, the press have their rabid teeth into this "RFC going broke" mantra, and no one will pay top dollar to us in those circumstances.

If Irvine was worth his salt he could rectify that, but it's beyond a tabloid hack's pay scale.

We should get rid of him and get someone first class in for half his retainer.

I think there is a compliant press as regards putting out the Celtic party line - whether they are aware of it or not.

I'm not sure how inept we have been in that area over the years. Hutton, Boumsong, Cuellar all went for good fees.

However, the press have their rabid teeth into this "RFC going broke" mantra, and no one will pay top dollar to us in those circumstances.

If Irvine was worth his salt he could rectify that, but it's beyond a tabloid hack's pay scale.

We should get rid of him and get someone first class in for half his retainer.

We have got good fees for a handful of players. Dozens have left for fuck all. Your hyperbole about timmy conspiracy is wearing thin.

I'm sure the Premiership bosses are playing very close attention to what the Daily Record say

Big Eck could also be trying to justify why he finished 3rd in a 2 team league. His bosmans were better than players he actually spent money on!!

But he has a point, nothing would be worse than going into the top flight and competing for being 4th or 5th. I don't expect to win the league straight away but there has to be signs that we are improving and should still take 2nd spot.

We have got good fees for a handful of players. Dozens have left for fuck all. Your hyperbole about timmy conspiracy is wearing thin.

I'm sure the Premiership bosses are playing very close attention to what the Daily Record say

I didn't imply a Timmy conspiracy. I specifically said that there was a compliant press.

Just because the media receive press releases or briefings from clubs, it doesn't necessary follow that they will print what the club wants.

At present, and for the past couple of years, we have been portrayed as being on our knees, while Celtic have been portrayed as raking in the money and not needing to sell players unless it's for silly money.

I can't remember the last time anyone in the press spoke well of any Rangers player.

So, I wasn't alluding to a Timmy conspiracy, but was inferring that toxic and his crew have been doing us no favours. Our PR operation needs to start consistently putting out good stories about us, the same as other clubs do.

PR releases about fire sales is just shooting ourselves in the foot.