Pardew - Iâ??ll Bring My Top Team

You can hardly judge the team on one friendly, especially when we were missing players such as Wallace, Jig, Black and Macleod.

I think I can. And it is not based on one friendly. It is based on the step up from a dross 3rd divison team on Sunday to a newly relegated SPL side in Dundee, along with the fact that we created next to nothing in all other friendlies. Are we honestly still saying we are a seriously weakened side without Jig? Also I would argue we are a stronger side without Black. If we had Wallace and Macleod how different would our tactics have been? Dundee ran us absolutley ragged in the first half. Forget the score - did you see it? It wasn't the personnel - it was the formation and tactics. If we are in trouble whenever we lose Wallace and Macleod then by God why have we been bringing in all the players we have?

I really hate to say it but if we get drawn at Breezeblock Boulevard in one of the cups it will be 'Dont Watch Alone'. Barring one or two sides in the SPL e.g. Hibs, I wouldn't fancy our chances one bit against the others.

I think I can. And it is not based on one friendly. It is based on the step up from a dross 3rd divison team on Sunday to a newly relegated SPL side in Dundee, along with the fact that we created next to nothing in all other friendlies. Are we honestly still saying we are a seriously weakened side without Jig? Also I would argue we are a stronger side without Black. If we had Wallace and Macleod how different would our tactics have been? Dundee ran us absolutley ragged in the first half. Forget the score - did you see it? It wasn't the personnel - it was the formation and tactics. If we are in trouble whenever we lose Wallace and Macleod then by God why have we been bringing in all the players we have?

I really hate to say it but if we get drawn at Breezeblock Boulevard in one of the cups it will be 'Dont Watch Alone'. Barring one or two sides in the SPL e.g. Hibs, I wouldn't fancy our chances one bit against the others.

Complete over reaction for one reason - it was a friendly!

Do you think Newcastle fans will take much notice if we beat them on Tuesday, no of course they won't. They will see the bigger picture.

The players who played against Dundee are still trying to gel. If we can beat Motherwell with the boys we had last year I am pretty confident we can go one further this year. Let's not forget outside of Celtic we have the most experienced squad with a decent amount of full internationals.

As for tactics time will tell, but I for one am quietly optimistic about this year.

We have played well once so far, against Albion Rovers, time will tell how we will fare against better teams.

What will be noticable against Newcastle, going by the SW game, the difference in speed, thought and physique. It was like men against boys at some points during the Sheffield game.

I hope we cope well.

Complete over reaction for one reason - it was a friendly!

Do you think Newcastle fans will take much notice if we beat them on Tuesday, no of course they won't. They will see the bigger picture.

The players who played against Dundee are still trying to gel. If we can beat Motherwell with the boys we had last year I am pretty confident we can go one further this year. Let's not forget outside of Celtic we have the most experienced squad with a decent amount of full internationals.

As for tactics time will tell, but I for one am quietly optimistic about this year.

There is no over-reaction on my part at all. "It was only a friendly" is a fair enough excuse if it is at the beginning of the close season. If it is just before your campaign kicks off it's a lame excuse used by managers (and some fans!) to paper over the fact that the team is not ready to hit the ground running when the real stuff starts e.g. if we get an unfavourable cup draw. Friendlies at this stage of the season should be about playing your strongest side available, with the formation you intend to use, so that the transition into the real games is seamless. To think otherwise is wrong. Plain wrong IMHO.

"Do you think Newcastle fans will take much notice if we beat them on Tuesday?". The fans might not but the manager sure will. Newcastle are the perfect example of what I've stated above. Pardew has, in his last couple of friendlies fielded very strong sides who have put in very strong performances. That is for the reason stated above i.e. he wants them hitting the ground running when the season kicks off. Why did this thread start? Pardew intends to field his strongest side.

Do Newcastle care about their performance? - Absolutely they do.

Was our intention to be close to our finished article by the time the season has started? - Absolutely it was.

Are we being deluded by still playing our "it's only a friendly" joker card this close to the season kick off? - Absloutely IMHO

Team that beat Motherwell:

01 Alexander

02 Argiriou

03 Cribari

04 Perry

05 Wallace

06 McCulloch

07 Faure

08 MacLeod

10 Shiels (Crawford - 75' )

11 Aird (McKay - 81' )

09 Sandaza (Hutton - 24' )

Substitutes

16 Gallacher

12 Hutton

14 Crawford

17 Stella

15 McKay

Potential Strongest team now:

Bell

Foster Mohsni Cribari Wallace

Little McLeod Law Templeton

Daly Clark

Team this year looks stronger overall to me with some better quality options in a few position.

Going OT but people were discussing this sort of thing in some posts.

Even during Eck's most parsimonious spell, we were in a different league to the likes of Fulham. Now the tables have truly turned.

How many times in the past 10-15 years have we beaten Premiership teams? We beat a poor Fulham side 1-0. I seem to recall us beating Man Utd in my younger years through a David May own goal but that was many moons ago and I think it was a testimonial.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy