Sheffield Wednesday 1 - 0 Rangers

Rangers' fans getting some great plaudits on twitter ...

Lee Rigby flag passed from away fans to home fans to carry over the stands. Class stuff. Lot of respect for Rangers tonight. #swfc #rangers

Josh ‏@SteezusChristtt

7m

Rangers fans are fucking quality

Top support from @RFC_Official #rangers #rfc #swfc #uto #properfans

Jamie Harper ‏@jamiefrombrum

3m

Quality from Rangers fans. Puts Celtic to shame yet again.

touch of class by both sets of supporters

Just got back to my hotel from the game. First time in amongst (well, just behind) the flare letting off crew who are about 40 years my junior...fabulous fun and support (though I fear criticism will follow.) I sang and danced all night but worry re our team. We were awful. No guile, no width...no good possession. .not a clue, tbh :-(

Still,it has been a helluva day...Penny Arcade kicking off here now...

I wanted to wake up to hear about the good spectacle and it sounds like it was.

The result not so good but once again the performance a concern. It is only a friendly so will let is pass, but come Saturday in the Ramsdens Cup we all have to expect better.

Pretty much as last season in the first half, McCulloch, Black and Daly through the middle of the team was horrible to watch, slow, slow and slower. McAusland on the right, Little on the left, mind boggling. Could have been 2 or 3 down at half time, they were faster and stronger, especially going forward.

Improvement in the second half, especially when the centre half came on, different class should be top priority to get him signed. Should have scored one, but they still had more chances.

Faure, Argy, Cribari and first in line Black should be shown the door asap, with Jig used only when absolutely necessary. Black looked even worse than last season, horrible player and person.

Enjoyed my night though. :):)

Edited by chilledbear

If ally plays jig over gasperatto at ch on sunday he should be sacked.

I think the team that started last night will probably play on Sunday. I actually felt sorry for a few last night Argy and Faure have hardly played yet are started against the best team we have come up against, as for McAusland wide right !!!

If Black plays I will seriously consider not watching for my Tellys health.

If ally plays jig over gasperatto at ch on sunday he should be sacked.

I don't think sacking him is on the cards, but Ally needs to get the message that playing Jig in central defense ahead of good defenders when Jig isn't a defender, is just completely unacceptable.

It's so bloody predictable though and most of us knew it would happen with Jig, where Ally almost point blank refuses to drop him because he's the captain. It's really not the right way to run a team though.

Fair enough having wingers switching wings and generally mixing things up a little with players moving around to try different positions, but Jig is never in a month of Sundays a central defender & if Ally can't see and accept that fact, then his time in football management could end up being short lived tbh.

The Sheffield Star view.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/sheffield-wednesday/match-report-sheffield-wednesday-1-rangers-0-1-5887216

Rangers fans brought Scottish fervour to Hillsborough last night and refused to be subdued by their team’s first defeat in six pre-season games.

Almost 5,000 away fans kept up an incredible barrage of noise even though Wednesday gave a sound performance and won 1-0 with an early goal from Michail Antonio.

Owls fans in a crowd of more than 16,000 enjoyed themselves too on an occasion that was no ordinary friendly.

Boisterous Rangers fans could be seen in the streets and outside pubs in the Hillsborough area and city centre long before the game.

A nd inside the ground the atmosphere became more like that of a cup-tie, with away fans filling the upper and lower West Stand and making themselves heard.

They were also allowed to stretch flags across seats in the empty north-west corner, plus a big one in the middle of the near-empty North Stand.

Blue and red smoke arose from the away end as the teams were read out - and some boos greeted the announcement of ex-Rangers midfield player Rhys McCabe in the Wednesday side, on his 21st birthday

Owls fans, who were in the Kop and the South Stand, added their voices to the din and were almost cheering a goal inside two minutes, with Gary Madine missing the target with headers in front of the Kop.

The crosses came from Joe Mattock and Michail Antonio, who was on the right wing as Jermaine Johnson partnered Madine up front.

Antonio struck in the 12th minute and became the first man to score against Rangers in their first six friendlies.

A Mattock right-side corner was helped on at the near post; Antonio mis-hit his shot downwards, the ball bounced up, then dipped and clipped the underside of the bar on its way to the net.

Wednesday defended soundly against whatever balls were played into their box in the first half,.

Trialist centre half Kamil Zayatte looked strong and capable on the right side of captain Martin Taylor.

Rangers tried to make progress patiently, but Wednesday threatened through the pace of Jeremy Helan, Johnson and Antonio.

It was an incisive move when Liam Palmer, again looking assured at right back, found the overlapping Antonio and his low cross was kept away from Madine at the near post by fine defending from Rangers right back Sebastian Faure.

Chris Kirkland was replaced by Adam Davies in only the 31st minute for a reason that was not obvious.

There seemed to be mutual respect and no antagonism between the rival sets of fans.

A banner saying ‘drummer Lee Rigby - lest we forget’ was passed from the away end to Owls fans who were at the bottom corner of the South Stand.

The tribute to the murdered soldier was also applauded when it was paraded around the pitch at half time.

Antonio was looking for first blood in the second half with a powerful shot to the near post that was held by Gallacher in the 55th minute.

By then Antonio had been switched to the left, with Helan taken off and Chris Maguire coming on to the right flank.

When ex-Sheffield United and Millers midfielder Nicky |Law dragged the ball across goal from a narow angle, it was Rangers’ first half-chance of the game.

Law set up striker Andrew Little for a better opportunity but Davies caught the ball cleanly.

Little also turned cleverly past Taylor and fired a good chance wide.

Madine volleyed a difficult opening over the bar from a fiercely struck ball by Maguire.

Again Rangers should have scored: unmarked sub Nicky Clark shot wide.

Paul Corry’s introduction on the left side of the Owls midfield meant Johnson going off and Antonio switching back up front.

A fine long-range strike by Lewis Macleod was beaten away by Davies and Bilel Mohsni missed from close range from the rebound but was offside anyway.

Probably no-one would have begrudged Rangers a draw - and their fans certainly made a big impression - not least with a big chorus of God Save the Queen which was applauded by home supporters near the end

And applause for the players came from all areas of the ground after the final whistle.

[h=1]Force praises well-behaved football fans[/h]

South Yorkshire police has today praised the city of Sheffield and the thousands of football fans who ensured last night’s first ever match between Sheffield Wednesday and Rangers passed off virtually without incident.

More than 4.700 away fans, from Scotland and many parts of England, converged on the city for the game which Wednesday won 1-0. Weeks of planning went into the policing operation last night, involving officers, PCSOs, Specials and support staff, with support from many partner agencies including city centre licensees.

And the operation has been hailed as a success – with only two fans ejected from the ground and one officer suffering a minor injury in an incident outside Hillsborough.

Chief Insp Iain Chorlton, who commanded the operation, said: “I’d like to thank everyone, from fans to licensees, to our partners and the officers and staff, whose professionalism, careful planning and friendly style of policing struck the right chord with fans.

“With a Grand Prix cycle race happening at the same time, and with roads having to be closed for that event, there was always the possibility that the night could have presented difficulties. The hot weather, coupled with nearly 5,000 visiting away fans, many of whom arrived in the city from mid morning and began drinking, could have presented significant problems for residents and business alike.

“I’m delighted, however, that the match proved so successful and enjoyable for just about everyone who attended it. There was undoubtedly high spirits, and many fans had clearly drunk a fair bit of alcohol, but most will wake up this morning with nothing but clear – and happy - memories of the match and the evening as a whole.”

The policing operation for the ‘pre-season friendly’ began in earnest on Tuesday and involved more than 220 officers and staff including officers in support from West Yorkshire Police.

More than 40, fifty-two seater coaches, eight mini buses, and thousands of train and car passengers converged on Sheffield, joined by thousands of home fans, many of whom made their way to Hillsborough on foot.

Chief Insp Chorlton added: “I would like to thank all fans for making sure the match such a memorable, safe and happy event. The fixture has set the tone for the forthcoming season.”

large_SWFC%20v%20Rangers%202013_0.JPG

- See more at: http://www.southyorkshire.police.uk/news-syp/force-praises-well-behaved-football-fans#sthash.Hiy8fp0w.dpuf

I don't think sacking him is on the cards, but Ally needs to get the message that playing Jig in central defense ahead of good defenders when Jig isn't a defender, is just completely unacceptable.

It's so bloody predictable though and most of us knew it would happen with Jig, where Ally almost point blank refuses to drop him because he's the captain. It's really not the right way to run a team though.

Fair enough having wingers switching wings and generally mixing things up a little with players moving around to try different positions, but Jig is never in a month of Sundays a central defender & if Ally can't see and accept that fact, then his time in football management could end up being short lived tbh.

Thats something of a departure for you. My fuse with ally is short after the last two years. But I will give him another chance. I am prepared to write off everything before sept 1st. But I want a huge improvement after that asap. Last years excuses were thin then. They are now invalid all together.