Kyle can be boy in blue too

KYLE McAUSLAND admits he is determined to join pals Lewis Macleod and Barrie McKay in the Rangers first team this season.

The 20-year-old penned a new two-year deal in February while on loan at Ayr United.

And the full back says he is ready to fight experienced pair Richard Foster and Anestis Argyriou for a place in Ally McCoistâ??s side.

Speaking as he prepared for Gersâ?? pre-season trip to the Highlands, McAusland said: â??The managerâ??s spoken to me and told me I am in his plans this season, which is always great for a younger player to hear.

â??I know things are going to be difficult because we already had Anestis here and weâ??ve signed Richard Foster, who has played in the Champions League and been in international squads.

â??But I think I can do a job for the team.

â??Iâ??ve been watching Richard in training and trying to pick up some tips from him as he is a quality player.

â??It is great to have someone like him at the club, but itâ??s made me work that bit harder to show my qualities to the manager and hopefully get my chance this season.

â??Last season I watched boys I played with in the youth team like Lewis Macleod, Barrie McKay and Robbie Crawford playing in the first team and thought â??I want to be thereâ??.

â??Some people look at going on loan as a backwards step but I feel I learned a lot more playing in the Second Division week in, week out.

â??It was something that I had to do for my own development and Iâ??ve come back flying in training and I canâ??t wait to get going.

â??Obviously the club are in the Second Division this season and I played a lot for Ayr in the same division last year.

â??So I can go into games and not get any nasty surprises.â?

Gers got off to a slow start in Division Three last term but McAusland insisted: â??This season itâ??ll be a bit easier for everyone.

â??Most of the boys have played in the Third Division so they kind of know what to expect in terms of smaller grounds and bumpy pitches.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4999655/Kyle-can-be-boy-in-blue-too.html#ixzz2YFvtqb2s

And here was me thinking he's a centre-half. Why else would we sign Foster (though he can also play left-back), keep Argyriou and hand Cole a new one-year deal? Then again, perhaps McCoist wants to utilize Foster on the right wing rather than at full-back. Would ease the fears of some that Little might be shunted out to right-wing, though with Ally saying that Daly and Clark will spear-head his attack, that's his best bet for continued action.

I assume those who want to see Little in attack will not like this ...

In addition, McCoist reiterated in his interview with Ibrox Director of Communications James Traynor this week that he doesn’t see Little as a natural forward.

For now at least, it seems the 23-year-old is destined to perform on the flank and while he does so reluctantly, he accepts that’s the case.

From today's interview with Little on the club's HP.