10 things we could have got for the price of Goian

:)

by Andy McGowan | Contributor

After years of financial mismanagement the modern Rangers fan must be more than a football supporter, after all Rangers is more than a football club. We must be the inquisitors as well as judge, jury and executioner. It is our job not only to support the team on the park but keep the club honest in its dealings off it. I am sure some fans will totally disagree with that but then again those are probably the guys who rounded on guys like me for â??not being proper Rangers fansâ?? when we questioned what the fuck Craig Whyte was doing three months in.

As responsible fans it is our duty on this occasion to ask why Dorin Goian was released on a free and not only that given his full £430,000 a year wage for his trouble. There is (according to the Herald) a lot of interest in Goian from clubs in England and in Turkey and Romania so presumably not only has the club thrown away £430,000 but theyâ??ve given up any chance of a fee for the player. At worst surely he should have been loaned out and the club save almost £500k.

So with another £430k sneaking out of the coffers it is our jobs as modern educated Rangers fans to ask â?? What could we have gotten for that sum? Letâ??s see just what the club could have had for that sizable chunk of cash.

11 bottles of Dom Perignon at £40k each: Our players are fond of drinking after shite performances and showing us so through instagram so why not do it in style with some Dom Perignon White Gold Jeroboam?

2,459,485 Freddo bars: Yes thatâ??s right we could have had 2 and a half million Freddos. £430k will buy you almost 41 thousand boxes of 60 Freddos. A free Freddo at every home game for season ticket holders would certainly endear Craig Mather to the fans.

7,166 football lessons for Kyle Hutton from 1st Class Football Coaching: Now that would be money well spent at £60 a lesson.

A 31 year all inclusive holiday to Ibiza for Darren Cole: Thomas Cook â?? Good cunts, letâ??s take them up on their 7 nights in Ibiza for £261 and letâ??s take them up on it 1,647 times. Holiday Daz would be unbelievably fit after 31 years in Ibiza seeing as the only time he goes for a run is before his holidays.

34,400 full Nandos chickens: A weeks supply of chicken from Nandos would surely motivate our squad. We could even open a Nandos at Auchenhowie to encourage our players to turn up there sometime.

A parking space in Covent Garden for 96 years: Iâ??m not sure why we would need a parking space in London but then again Iâ??m not sure why we need Jon Daly and the parking space is cheaperâ?¦and more mobile. Maybe if a player has a shocker we can make him stand in the parking space for the day.

614 nights with a high class prostitute at £700 a night: We were paying Goian twice as much a year as we could get a club hooker for! If we are going to get fucked for money we might as well enjoy it and who better to enjoy it with than CurvySavannah36 from Merchant City?

14,300 grams of cocaine at £30 a gram: We could sell it at the turnstiles. Itâ??s literally a license to print money. Itâ??s almost criminal not to do it. And if we all start taking drugs before kick-off we might even enjoy the game.

1939 Daimler DB18 Drophead Coupe owned by Winston Churchill for £400k: We could use the left over £30,000 to drive Cribari back to Brazil. If you thought the riots during the Confederations Cup were bad just wait till the locals find out Emilson is in town. Also the only way Walter Smith could be cooler is if he turns up at Ibrox in a 1939 Daimler DB18 Drophead Coupe owned by Winston Churchill; you know Iâ??m right.

And 7,390 copies of the Homeland season 1-2 box set Blu-Ray: You know, just in case the football lessons donâ??t work out and Kyle Hutton needs something to do on match days.

http://www.thecoplandroad.org/2013/07/10-things-we-could-have-got-for-price.html

:smokin:

Questions are: did he really get his full wage?

What would we have paid towards his wage on loan?

Is there actually even a remote chance we'd get a fee for him?

In what way could we have saved the wage bar not bringing him to the club?

I've got to say, no wonder this guy was accused of ‘not being proper Rangers fans’. It's not the actual point of criticism itself, it's the 'Rangers are shit no matter what' method of delivery along with pure speculation treated as fact.

As for the things we could buy, I stopped after the second. It's so dull it makes the Sun seem like a very interesting newspaper.

Really not impressed with the negative pap that CRO are churning out.

Questions are: did he really get his full wage?

Yeah, that is my question too - one would assume that Mr McKellar has some inside info on that. IF true I am actually disappointed that we paid his wage in full and allowed him to go, especially as we seem to be after Berra - which means we lose Goian but at full wage and also pick up Berra on a wage - we are effectively paying two wages to only have one player.

What would we have paid towards his wage on loan?

I dont think this really matters so long as it wasnt 100% of his salary. If less than 100% it saves us money - simple. If paying full wage on loan then, again, we should just keep him and play him.

Is there actually even a remote chance we'd get a fee for him?

Debatable. Even if there is decent interest in him that could be due to him now being a free agent. Highly debatable that we would get a loan fee for him.

In what way could we have saved the wage bar not bringing him to the club?

Exactly. Funny though..... during his first 6 months at the club there was all that stuff on Twitter about #Goianfacts or whatever it was - our fanbase, as a whole, pretty much took him to our hearts and felt he was a great signing..... now we are complaining about signing him at all, effectively - although, that said, I dont think McKellar is having a go at Goian, more at us possibly paying him off with his wages in full. Which is fair enough.

I've got to say, no wonder this guy was accused of ‘not being proper Rangers fans’. It's not the actual point of criticism itself, it's the 'Rangers are shit no matter what' method of delivery along with pure speculation treated as fact.

I thought it was tongue in cheek and a respite from the normal more seriosu stuff, obviously with an element of criticism thrown in, which again is fair enough IF TRUE.

As for the things we could buy, I stopped after the second. It's so dull it makes the Sun seem like a very interesting newspaper.

Nah, I thought some of them were kind of witty - a bit harsh on the Cribari, Hutton and Cole remarks, but that is because they are current players and I find it difficult to be so critical of them. Each to their own though.

Really not impressed with the negative pap that CRO are churning out.

I take the view that it's unlikely our financial people are THAT stupid - I really hope not.

I personally think that it's more logical that we paid off something like half his wage. I also expect it's probably around the same as we'd have to pay if he went out on loan which doesn't necessarily save us money but more crucially we don't have to find him a club or have the risk that we can't get him one. Basically it makes it risk free. I think from Goian's side that he'd be unlikely to find a club to pay more than about half his current wage and so as he can take a wage cut, he now becomes marketable and might not lose out financially. Taking the previous point, I doubt we could give him away for free on his Rangers wage, never mind bring in a fee.

I could be completely wrong but at least it makes financial sense and is a win-win situation or more realistically a no-lose - no-lose situation.

It also agrees more with reports of his 16k wage being bandied about.

BTW I might be wrong with the half, it could be another fraction but I would expect we don't lose out massively compared to the scenario of loaning him or worst, keeping him.

I take the view that it's unlikely our financial people are THAT stupid - I really hope not.

Agreed. I cant bring myself to believing we paid him off in full and then also look to bring in a replacement. That would be financial mismanagement of the highest order IMHO. Sadly we have previous when it comes to this, although, admittedly, we have a new FD and CEO in place - so hopefully they arent taking the same steps as the previous incumbents.

I personally think that it's more logical that we paid off something like half his wage. I also expect it's probably around the same as we'd have to pay if he went out on loan which doesn't necessarily save us money but more crucially we don't have to find him a club or have the risk that we can't get him one. Basically it makes it risk free. I think from Goian's side that he'd be unlikely to find a club to pay more than about half his current wage and so as he can take a wage cut, he now becomes marketable and might not lose out financially. Taking the previous point, I doubt we could give him away for free on his Rangers wage, never mind bring in a fee.

I could be completely wrong but at least it makes financial sense and is a win-win situation or more realistically a no-lose - no-lose situation.

Yeah, Even if it isnt half the salary but a bit higher would not be too bad a thing. I would HOPE that we know how much a replacement would cost and that the combination of pay-off cost to Goian and salary to replacement comes in at no higher than Goian's cost, otherwise it is still financial mismanagement. It would be preferable for the combination to come out much lower than Goian's cost but if we have paid him off then it wont be as low as we would have liked.

Why cant we have anything written in contracts that if a player mutually terminates his contract that any pay off would be reduced by salary received at new club ? By that I mean, if we pay off Goian's full wage (please say it isnt so) and he then finds a new club, he effectively is getting paid TWICE, whilst we are paying the salary of a player who no longer plays for us. No wonder we are in the shape we are in !!

It also agrees more with reports of his 16k wage being bandied about.

Hopefully the days of such ridiculous wages are now behind us.

BTW I might be wrong with the half, it could be another fraction but I would expect we don't lose out massively compared to the scenario of loaning him or worst, keeping him.

Agreed.

Hopefully the days of such ridiculous wages are now behind us.

This is one place where I disagree with you. I hope one day we can afford to pay wages that give us a team that competes reasonably well in Europe...

We also needed to pay high wages before for the level we were aiming at, although it's debatable we often paid the right players those wages or received value for money. Although one of the problems is that the same players are paid similar money elsewhere until they are found out.

I do think one of Rangers' problems is that we are expected to pay higher than anyone else. This isn't because we are not attractive to come to but the opposite. If you're playing in front of a far bigger crowd you expect a piece of the action.

Some negative fans use the likes of Dundee Utd's 3.8m wage bill as a stick to beat us with but is there any chance we could bring in those players on the same wages?

(Not withstanding the actual fan reaction to having a signing spree of say Gary Mackay-Steven, Keith Watson, Mark Millar, Michael Gardyne, Brian McLean and Chris Erskine.)

I think we'd have to pay double as the agents thinks "kerching" and the player gets pound signs in his eyes. That means to have DU's squad instead of ours, our wage bill would go UP. And look how well they did in the SPL last season (and you can't blame Ally for that)...

It's got to be remembered that the OF weren't so dominant because the wages were double everyone else's, it's because they were 8 to 10 times everyone else's. Double guarantees nothing, and if my postulate is correct, not even a slightly better team.

i think we all know 430k was nothing like his full wage for a year.

Ha, I didnt even think of that !! 8k a week... how much was he on, probably a fair bit more given he was signed as an international whilst we were in the SPL !