Gersnet writer @Juanscornetto explains the science behind the haters obsessed by Rangers:

http://www.gersnet.co.uk/index.php/latest-news/143-ockham-s-broom

Far be it for me to get all cerebral and scholarly however, I came across a concept whilst listening to an (admittedly weighty) philosophy podcast whilst on one of my long, country walks with my trusty canine companion Cooper through rural Lanarkshire. It immediately struck a chord with me when applied to the farcical and tiresome debate regarding the tenacity, validity and existence of Rangers Football Club (est. 1872).

Allow me to elaborate. Ockhamâ??s Broom is a philosophical construct first described by renowned biologist and Nobel Prize Winner, Professor Sydney Brenner. He, weary of persistent criticism from theologians and detractors of his pioneering work on evolutionary biology coined the phrase to describe their â??sweeping under the carpetâ? of â??inconvenient factsâ?.

http://jbiol.com/content/8/9/79

Iâ??m sure this description rings a few bells with you dear reader. As we know, this is exactly the type of bizarre behaviour we see when our detractors, critics and obsessive rivals, both on the street and in the written media, are faced with the inconvenient fact that Rangers Football Club is indeed alive and well. Not only that but itâ??s on course for a return to the top of the increasingly beleaguered and toxic world of Scottish football. Iâ??ve compared their flat refusal to accept the overwhelming weight of evidence to that of pre-Copernican scholars who were (due to Christian confirmation bias) convinced that the Earth was the centre of all things and that the solar system revolved around us. Copernicus was also a controversial figure for disproving the ridiculously misinformed notion that the Earth is flat.

The latest nail in the coffin of the â??new clubâ? brigade came this week when the Editorial Standards Committee ruled that the BBC had â??failed to demonstrate enough clarity and precision when reporting about Rangers Football Clubâ?. This was brought about by the dogged and determined work of members of Vanguard Bears and Rangers Media. Consider my hat truly doffed. Proof positive that our most potent weapon in the fight for basic respect and fairness in how our club is portrayed is in fact, us.

You can forgive fans for getting carried away and engaging in petty agendas but members of the media in Scotland have sunk to incredible depths to further their views. Views, which we all know, are completely invalid and can be dismissed as easily and as simply as they were conceived. The BBC Sports Scotland team have been some of the worst offenders. Their continual use of terms like â??new clubâ? â??old Rangersâ?, â??new Rangersâ? and â??â?¦the liquidated clubâ? went far beyond anecdotal. Long after just about all other news outlets had conceded that Rangers Football Club endures, BBC Scotland reports and articles were littered with the kind of rhetoric we expect to see from CQN, Celtic Minded or the confused one from Donegal.

All of this only serves to deepen the rift between rival sets of fans and these people must shoulder some responsibility for doing so. I have a modicum of respect for Celtic Football Club for what they have achieved and for what they have done for Scottish footballâ??s European reputation. I have no wish to see Celtic Park padlocked or bulldozed or for their fans to suffer the indignity of seeing their club dragged through the gutter should the authorities revisit any questionable historical events but it seems apparent that a portion of the Celtic minded (media and fans) would gleefully rejoice should Rangers Football Club be extinguished forever.

This to me is an anomaly. By that I mean something that just doesnâ??t make sense. It is an anomaly that not even the eminent and aforementioned Professor Brenner could explain but he above anyone else would be adequately equipped to dismiss the kind heretics that we are faced with today. So next time you are faced with a geo-centric flat earther or, as we know them â??obsessed timsâ? just refer them to Prof Brennerâ??s work. Two outcomes are then possible: Theyâ??ll either disregard it without evidence thus proving the theory or theyâ??ll descend deeper into the cupboard in which Ockhamâ??s Broom resides. If nothing else it will force them to think and that can only be a good thing.

Edited by Frankie

Really enjoyed this article and the one from AMMS yesterday.

Remember folks, if you'd like to contribute something to the main site, feel free to submit content into the Writer's sub-forum and we'll publish at a convenient time.

:)

So next time you are faced with a helio-centric flat earther or, as we know them “obsessed tims” just refer them to Prof Brenner’s work.]

Good read, but just to be pedantic: the heliocentric model is the correct one for our solar system. Geo-centricism would be the view analogous to the dhim stance.

Good read, but just to be pedantic: the heliocentric model is the correct one for our solar system. Geo-centricism would be the view analogous to the dhim stance.

This is where I point you in the direction of the author... :D;)

Guys, in hindsight I should have qualified the terminology better but I did include a link to the reference material in the article.

Ockham's Broom is a term coined by Prof. Brenner which he derived as a kind of anti-thesis to Ockham's Razor....first conceptualised by William of Ockham. O.C.K.H.A.M!