Aird chased by Mounties

CANADA will push their bid to convince Rangers teenager Fraser Aird to play for them â?? because they fear him becoming their James McCarthy.

Aird is in interim boss Colin Millerâ??s 35-man preliminary squad for the Gold Cup in California and ex-Gers defender Miller admitted he would have made his debut against Costa Rica last week.

Miller, also coach of NASL outfit FC Edmonton, says Canada have lost so many eligible stars to other countries that the Mounties are determined to get their man in Aird.

He said: â??Weâ??re very interested in Fraser.

â??Iâ??ve already spoken to Ally McCoist about him and heâ??s promised to have a chat with Fraser.

â??We would have included Fraser in the squad against Costa Rica but he had a Rangers club commitment.

â??We know Scotland are interested but Coisty said Fraser hasnâ??t committed himself either way.

â??He said heâ??d sound him out and get back to me.

â??I think the lad is genuinely in two minds. His dadâ??s Scottish and his mumâ??s Canadian so he probably gets pressure from both of them.

â??I thought of speaking to him myself but Iâ??m only in the national job on an interim basis so I didnâ??t feel that was the right thing to do.

â??Iâ??ll send Rangers an e-mail putting in writing our intention of pursuing him for Canada.

â??Our technical director Tony Fonseca intends to call him personally. To some extent weâ??re covering our own backs because Canada have lost a few players to other countries.

â??Itâ??s the same as James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady playing for Ireland despite being born in Scotland.

â??Swanseaâ??s Jonathan de Guzman was born here but plays for Holland, while Junior Hoilett of QPR seems to be leaning towards Jamaica.

â??The best known one was Owen Hargreaves, who was born in Calgary but played for England.

â??My view is that once theyâ??ve decided to play for someone else we should wash our hands of them.

â??I havenâ??t seen Fraser in the flesh but Ally tells me heâ??s really promising.

â??My brother Dal lives in Harthill and is a Gers fanatic and says Aird has done really well.â?

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4957172/Aird-chased-by-Mounties.html#ixzz2VO1LyWys

Should Rangers and Fraser Aird not asking the Sun to remove the headline? And look for compensation, as it brings Aird's and Rangers' name into disrepute?

Why?

Because the headline - in a sinister way - intimates that Aird is actually being chased by the Mounties. And Mounties is sure not the term in any way linked to the Canadian football team, but ...

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) (French: Gendarmerie royale du Canada (GRC), literally ‘Royal Gendarmerie of Canada'; colloquially known as The Mounties, and internally as ‘The Force') is both a federal and a national police force of Canada, and one of the most recognized of its kind in the world.

CANADA will push their bid to convince Rangers teenager Fraser Aird to play for them — because they fear him becoming their James McCarthy.

Aird has a Canadian parent and a Scottish parent, so it's nothing like McCarthy, who has 2 Scottish parents.