Ally eyes four deals

For the division we are going into, we really shouldn't need to. We have a number of international players, a number of players with top flight and even European experience (which of our rivals can say so?) We are in one of the lowest standard professional leagues that exist, our opponents will be on peanuts, playing as a hobby. The experienced pros we have should be guiding the promising youngsters into their careers.

I agree, we only need to add a few in to get through this season and strengthen the defence. Likes of Nicky Clark is a good signing as its a no risk. Bell is a potentially good signing.

But I dont like signing average SPL players for the sake of a squad if they arent going to put us in a good position in 2 years time when we are top flight. Id imagine the likes of Law and Daly would be on minimum 3 years deals so by the time we are an SPL side again we'll have the likes of them, Shiels, Black etc non of which has worked out well so far and the dont fill me with confidence that they would put us in a strong SPL position. This is why Id prefer to play the younger guys again this season mixed with experienced pro's like McCulloch etc and bring in players like Novo who could do the job.

We will be able to attract a higher standard of player when the embargo is lifted and we are in Div 1 as players will know they are less than 12 months from being in the top flight again.

Unless we have a better coaching team who could bring the likes of Law and Daly in and improve them and gel them into a team that is playing good football then what is the point. Ally just seems to buy the players then it doesnt look like he is working with them. Even Kyle Hutton has went backwards this season.

For me the long term plan and focus has lacked ambition. I get the point we didnt have much of a squad at the start of 2012-13 and no pre-season - so I applaud the players who were there - but overall there was a decline in our play when it should have been the opposite. Players should have gotten to know each other and started to have a better understanding. If we get a couple of signings in and start off great next season it will be papering over the cracks. People will think we have a good team all over a sudden but this will be on the back of players being 'up for' the new season and want to make a point.

But there should have been a football philosophy laid down from last season. Its not too late to start it this year and have 2 years at it in Div 2 and 1.

Edited by Gribz

DUNDEE UNITED skipper Jon Daly has agreed a deal to sign for Rangers.

The 30-year-old was initially targeted by Ibrox manager Ally McCoist back in January and has been in talks with the club for the past three months.

MK Dons and Hibs were also keen on Daly, while United offered him a deal to stay. But SunSport understands the Ibrox move is now agreed — and that he could put pen to paper as early as next week.

It’s understood he will sign a two-year deal with the option of a third season at the Light Blues.

He won’t be able to officially register until the transfer embargo is lifted on September 1.

Daly scored 22 times last season and has found the net on 15 occasions this year, despite spending much of the campaign playing at centre-back. Daly joined United from Hartlepool in 2007 and became a massive influence at Tannadice.

Often played at centre-back in emergencies, he still sees his best position as up front and will be charged with leading the Gers’ attack in Division Two next season.

The former Hartlepool striker will become the first player from the Republic of Ireland to star in Rangers’ first team for 80 years.

Meanwhile, United boss Jackie McNamara, who faces losing Aberdeen target Willo Flood and Barry Douglas to Lech Poznan, claims he has no problem with out-of-contract players looking elsewhere.

He had hoped to keep the trio but said: “They’ve got a right and they have conducted themselves in an exemplary fashion when I’ve been speaking to them.

“They’ve been honest with me and there hasn’t been a problem.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4928132/Gers-swoop-for-Arabs-ace-Jon-Daly.html#ixzz2TKcnEGvl

I'm not too excited about him signing tbh,but only because I am wondering what kind of cash he will be getting. As a player I do think he will do a job for us,he will score goals and he will give us a physical presence and I don't think at 30 he is too old for the next couple of seasons. He will get my support if he does sign though, I never wanted Black anywhere near a Rangers jersey as I think he is a hothead and reckless, and I have seen nothing to change my mind so far,however he is a Rangers player and gets my support.

Again I'm more concerned on how much we will be paying him?.

So....upfront it looks like a choice of Jig, Little, Hemmings, Daly & possibly Nicky Clark - that's a lot of options when playing 1 up front!!!

Then add in Shiels, Temps & McKay who can also play either up top, or just off the striker.

I have nothing against Daly - he seems a decent enough player - but I believe there would have been better options out there.

So....upfront it looks like a choice of Jig, Little, Hemmings, Daly & possibly Nicky Clark - that's a lot of options when playing 1 up front!!!

Then add in Shiels, Temps & McKay who can also play either up top, or just off the striker.

I have nothing against Daly - he seems a decent enough player - but I believe there would have been better options out there.

I would prefer it if we signed a couple of decent CBs',then again maybe he will be our CB?.

We had that discussion since Daly was first linked to us. There are obvious pros and cons and thrown all into it - if he actually signs - we have a handy SPL-tested veteran on our books who WANTS to come to a third tier team in Scotland. For all the debate about us and our stature and our money and better options, we should keep in mind where we are. Dozens of clubs will be haring after the freebies and as we have e.g. have seen with Bocanegra, those we would like to get have their own targets too. We all saw sense in Goian and Bocanegra moving on loan (not just because of their wages), now we should also see sense here and don't turn it all on its head and e.g. claim that they are here for money or something.

Daly will just be one of many signings, one of the veteran signings too. But we'll have more than him and will not auto-pick all the old people after fielding e.g. 19 quite promising youngsters along the way this season.

Daly scored 22 times last season and has found the net on 15 occasions this year, despite spending much of the campaign playing at centre-back. Daly joined United from Hartlepool in 2007 and became a massive influence at Tannadice.

Often played at centre-back in emergencies, he still sees his best position as up front and will be charged with leading the Gers’ attack in Division Two next season.

The former Hartlepool striker will become the first player from the Republic of Ireland to star in Rangers’ first team for 80 years.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4928132/Gers-swoop-for-Arabs-ace-Jon-Daly.html#ixzz2TKcnEGvl

I'm surprised the report didn't have this as the headline. Still it's early days, wait till he makes his début, the whole world will know about it.