Richard Wilson - Herald - Sunday

About to go to bed after a cracking day on the lash in Dalkeith (Shanti is a highly recommended Indian)....

As discussed the other day there are a few people who fancy their chances of effectively taking over the club (although I clearly missed out the Easdales). Time for all to show they're serious. Doesn't matter their business reputation elsewhere, if they want to own Rangers then it's time to step up and involve us to ensure credibility.

Decisions, decisions -

Richard Wilson

Sports writer

Sunday 28 April 2013

Rangers remain a club of deep uncertainty, with several interested parties moving into place with a view to buying a stake in the coming months.

The members of the consortium that bought the club last summer can sell their shares in June. Charles Green and Imran Ahmad, who have both left, are unable to sell their stakes – 7.79% and 3.38% respectively – until December, 12 months after the club was launched on the Alternative Investment Market. They appear, though, set on offloading them to James Easdale, the owner of McGill's buses with his brother Sandy. Up to 30% or more of the club could become available, effectively a controlling stake.

The directors are anxious, given Sandy Easdale's spell in jail after being convicted of fraud in 1997, but his brother has contacted the Scottish Football Association about the terms of their fit and proper person criteria for directors. Yet Dave King has sought reassurance again from the governing body that he could return to the club. King invested £20m under Sir David Murray, and lost that money when Rangers Football Club plc went into administration. King, a Glaswegian who lives in Johannesburg, could not make an offer for Rangers last summer, but in November his overseas assets were unfrozen when he won a case against the South African Revenue Service (SARS), and last month he reached an agreement over a tax dispute that had lasted for more than 10 years.

"I believe there will be a change of control in the near future," King told the Sunday Herald. "I am concerned about the financial position [at Ibrox] but believe it can be resolved before there is a real impact. A self-sustainable business plan must be the long-term objective, but for the next approximately five years, soft funding will be required to negate the unfortunate legacy left by David Murray and HBOS. I am reasonably confident the club will end up in the right hands."

Rangers' closing share price on Friday was 56p. If the £1m Craig Mather invested last year is a guide, the pre-initial public offering shares could be valued at about 55p. Once the share price reaches that figure the market value of the club will be the same as the total sum invested – £35.2m – meaning shareholders will start to consider selling.

There are other interested parties. The Sunday Herald understands that one is considered a frontrunner, and involves the businessman Jim McColl, although he denied last week having any intention of buying Green's shares. It is unlikely a full takeover will be launched, and nobody will make a move until the club's independent examination has established whether former owner Craig Whyte has a legitimate claim on the assets, although King is adamant he does not.

The past week has been fraught for Rangers, but it might also allow for a period of respite. More revelations may emerge about the dealings between Whyte, Green and Ahmad. The board split was not entrenched, and there is the opportunity now for a greater sense of co-operation.

Leadership is required in the boardroom, but there are people at the club trying to bring progress. The independent examination by Deloitte and Pinsent Masons began last Monday – files and computers have been pored over all week – and a verbal report will be delivered to the directors tomorrow.

In the meantime, the willingness of the finance director, Brian Stockbridge, to support the likes of Walter Smith and Ian Hart on the board has been significant, as was Mather's appointment as permanent chief operating officer and interim chief executive. He will meet Ally McCoist this week to discuss plans to improve the squad, and the manager might feel vindicated for staying on under Green, yet a good sale is essential to the clubs's rebuilding plans

"It's far easier fighting on the inside than on the outside," McCoist said. "I will continue to do my best for the club. I am in a stronger position doing it while being in the workforce of the club than not. That was always important to me."

McCoist's urging of the fans to buy season tickets last summer helped prompt 38,000 supporters to back the club. The manager was also warned by his friend and former team-mate John Brown over Green's potential impact.

"John just about spelled out what was going to happen," McCoist said. "He had some documented evidence. But it was very much [brown's opinion]. I was nervous last year about [promoting season ticket sales] and I'll be nervous again. There are things to happen before we ask them to give up their hard-earned cash. We have to find out the results of this inquiry, what league we're going to be in and are we going to get some new free-transfer players in."

FORMER Rangers director Dave King believes he possesses evidence that contradicts the recent claims Craig Whyte has made on the ownership of Rangers' assets.

King is adamant Whyte would not succeed in any legal action to try to regain control of Ibrox, Murray Park or any other aspect of the business sold last summer to the consortium led by Charles Green. Whyte has said he will lodge a claim, funded by the Worthington Group, which is part-owned by Whyte and his long-time business associates Aidan and Wulstan Earley, on Rangers' assets.

The former owner believes he and Aidan Earley were directors and founders of Sevco 5088, the company that entered into an exclusivity agreement with Duff & Phelps, the administrators of Rangers Football Club plc, last summer.

However, the business and assets were sold to the differently- named Sevco Scotland after RFC plc failed to exit administration through a Company Voluntary Arrangement, with Green insisting he and his partners, including Imran Ahmad, "shafted" Whyte.

King, who has offered to assist Rangers in any legal case, is certain Whyte's threat of legal action is without merit. "I have details of prior discussions and agreements with Craig Whyte that are contrary to his newly-stated position," he said.

"I have an agreement that completely undermines Craig Whyte's latest version. I am referring to specific undertakings he made to me that are legally binding and contrary to his latest fabrication." It was also confirmed yesterday that Ahmad has left Rangers.

The commercial director was found to have posted sensitive company information on internet message boards, after he and Green – who resigned nine days ago – became the subject of an independent examination launched by the Ibrox board.

"I wouldn't comment on it just now," manager Ally McCoist said after Rangers defeated East Stirlingshire 4-2. "I've just found out about it and the investigation is still under way. I'll comment after that."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/king-whyte-legal-threat-without-merit.20927290