Believe me in 10 years time Coistyâ??s team will be heroes

HE won a legendary title Rangers supporters will be talking about for decades.

But Brian Laudrup admits it could be 10 years before those same fans start appreciating this seasonâ??s championship.

Great Dane Laudrup scored a rare header to clinch nine-in-a-row for Gers in 1997.

Sixteen years on, the Ibrox club is unrecognisable from those glory-laden days.

But Laudrup still rates the Third Division title a massive achievement â?? even if itâ??s not regarded that way just now.

He told SunSport: â??You would have hoped that what happened to Rangers over the last 10 months wouldnâ??t have happened to any club.

â??I read that at the start of pre-season they only had six players. When you think about it like that, itâ??s incredible what they have achieved.

â??It was an almost impossible task. They didnâ??t even play one pre-season game.

â??If you put any coach in the world in that position â?? telling him he had to deliver a title under those circumstances â?? it would be very difficult.

â??But everyone at the club has stuck together and managed to get this title won.

â??In many ways it was a no-win situation because it was a title which everybody expected Rangers to get. But itâ??s never as simple as that.

â??I think that whatâ??s been done is of extreme importance. There may not be too many Rangers fans who look on this season as a huge success.

â??I just think 10 years from now it will be thought of as a good overall result. It maybe wonâ??t be remembered as the best football theyâ??ve ever seen, but itâ??s been a huge step in the right direction.

â??Everyone at Rangers gets my respect for that. Itâ??s been an impossible season and the outcome is incredible. The team has delivered.

â??It will take another few years to get Rangers back to where they were. But theyâ??ve started this journey and theyâ??ve started it well. Now they can build by buying some players.â? Laudrup looks at Gers boss Ally McCoist and sees a man who has delivered in the past. He just hopes he is given the chance to do so in the future.

He added: â??I havenâ??t spoken to Coisty recently. I think heâ??s been quite busy.

â??Iâ??m just happy for him because itâ??s been one helluva rollercoaster ride.

â??Hopefully things can settle down for him and he can build on this and make the Rangers supporters happy by continuing the success.

â??Itâ??s a long journey, but he started it, and hopefully he can finish it off. I would really hope that happens.

â??He breathes this club and loves this club more than anything else.

â??If there is some uncertainty about other things going on at the club you can always be sure he has his heart where it belongs. Itâ??s in the soul of Rangers. In that respect I think heâ??s delivered under very difficult circumstances.

â??As someone who has been part of some very successful Rangers sides, he knows this team maybe isnâ??t at that level at this point.

â??But nobody would like to see players of a certain calibre at Rangers more that Coisty.

â??If heâ??s given time I really hope he can do that.â?

Laudrupâ??s legendary status at Gers looks set to go into extra time. Charles Green has offered him a role as a club ambassador.

Laudrup added: â??Nothing has been formalised, but that would mean a lot to me.

â??If I can help out then I would be willing to do that.â?

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4878966/Believe-me-in-10-years-time-Coistys-team-will-be-heroes.html