Dundee sheriff criticises anti-sectarian legislation

A sheriff has cleared a man of singing inflammatory songs at a Dundee FC match, blaming â??horribly badly draftedâ? legislation.

Sheriff Richard Davidson blasted attempts to tackle sectarianism in football through laws banning certain songs, instead laying the blame at the door of denominational schools.

Celtic fan Dion McLeish, 20, was found not guilty of inciting public disorder during the Dark Bluesâ?? Boxing Day fixture against Celtic.

Prosecutors had alleged that on December 26, at Dens Park, McLeish engaged in behaviour which was likely or would be likely to incite public disorder in that he sang a song contrary to the offensive behaviour at football and threatening communications (Scotland) Act 2012 Section 1 (1).

However, Sheriff Davidson blasted the legislation, saying: â??Iâ??ve been attending football matches since 1957 and there is nothing Iâ??ve seen in this particular case that would cause me the slightest concern.â?

He added: â??Sectarianism is a blight on Scottish society, but this isnâ??t the way to tackle it. The way to tackle it is to do away with denominational schools.

â??If they can prescribe a list of songs which people are banned from singing, they will find the courts are full and the football grounds are empty.â?

He told McLeish, of Craigpark Street, Clydebank: â??There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever as far as Iâ??m concerned that your behaviour would be liable to incite public disorder and you will be found not guilty.â?

A spokeswoman for the Diocese of Dunkeld said: â??The sheriffâ??s comments are deeply regrettable.

â??Catholic schools exist throughout the world without being accused of leading to sectarianism.â?

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/dundee-sheriff-criticises-anti-sectarian-legislation-1.82470?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Quite an interesting case because it looks like the sheriff hasn't given a not guilty verdict due to being biased towards the defendant (considering the comment about denominational schools).

Yet another legal mind voices serious doubts about the sanity of the new legislation....

Strathclyde.

does the same then apply to things like street parades and marches? the variance b we between previously different forces always being completely miles apart .

strathclydes way of dealing with it. 20million cops on horse between ranks of marchers.

thru in Lothian your lucky to have 1 copper per 50people and far more relaxed .

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Unless I am mistaken, the chap sang Roll of Honour, an IRA-love-in that can easily be punished under the Terrorist Act 2006.

As I said before, I wonder what had happened if this chap had been a Bluenose and had belted out TBB et al. Just saying.