Alexander braced for Ibrox exit

NEIL ALEXANDER says he is close to quitting Rangers.

The Ibrox No1 — out of contract this summer — has rejected two extension offers. Cammy Bell has already penned a pre-contract to join from Kilmarnock on September 1. Now Alexander is reluctantly preparing to exit.

The 35-year-old said: “Negotiations have been going slowly.

“The club has made it clear they want me to stay. They’ve offered me contracts but, with all the uncertainty over which division the club will be in next year, we’re quite a bit away in terms of being able to agree a contract, unfortunately.

“I’ve been here for five-and-a-half years and I’m desperate to stay.

“My family are settled, my kids are loving life in school and we love life in Glasgow.

“We really want to stay but it looks like I possibly could be leaving.”

Alexander stayed at Ibrox when the club was liquidated, then reformed in the Third Division. It is believed he snubbed offers from Bristol City and Blackpool and the chance to become back-up at Norwich.

We revealed in January that Alexander had turned down a new one-year deal, worth £10,000 a week, to stay at Ibrox.

He was holding out for an extra two years, but then reportedly threw out a take-it-or-leave-it second offer which involved him being paid just half his salary.

Now Alexander is plotting his next move, with Bell on his way in.

Asked where he would like to go, he said: “The Championship perhaps, the Premier League as a No2 or abroad. I want to keep my options open and don’t want to close the door on anything.

“It’s the same sort of circumstances that were at Cardiff when I left.

“We agreed a contract in December, then it changed in March.

“I was told if I didn’t sign, I wasn’t going to play again and I didn’t.

“I was forced out the door there and a similar thing is happening now.”

Alexander has shipped 24 goals in 31 Third Division games for Gers this season.

He is guaranteed a title-winning medal but admits it has been the hardest season he has EVER had psychologically.

Alexander said: “It’s been tough. We’re a long way from where we were playing in the Champions League and cup finals.

“We love the club and want to see it back in Scotland’s top flight.

“I don’t see myself as a Third Division keeper. I look at myself as Rangers’ first-team goalie.

“But mentally it has been one of the toughest seasons of my career.

“I made a mistake against Elgin — my one mistake from 40 games — and I still hear about it.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/feeds/smartphone/scotland/4869354/Alexander-braced-for-Ibrox-exit.html#ixzz2PFyMF7J9

Edited by ian1964