Ally McCoist: SPL2 plan a stab in the back for SFL

By EWING GRAHAME

Published on Sunday 31 March 2013 00:00

Rangers manager Ally McCoist insists that he would not welcome an invitation from the Scottish Premier League to join a breakaway second tier should their proposals for a new 12-12-18 structure next season fail to find favour with Scottish Football League clubs.

A majority of 75 per cent (22 members) in favour of the proposals is required and itâ??s understood that there is insufficient interest in rushing the new structure through.

However, while SFL chief executive David Longmuir is asking to postpone any change for a year, itâ??s believed that his SPL counterpart, Neil Doncaster, and his board are preparing to invite selected clubs to join them in a new set-up.

McCoist, however, would be hostile to any approach. Still resentful over what he views as the vindictiveness of the SPL clubs towards Rangers last summer, he would not wish to confer credibility on any kind of breakaway by attaching Rangersâ?? name to it. However, he realises that the inclusion of Rangers would significantly aid the SPL when it comes to attracting sponsors and broadcasters and that their name will be top of Doncasterâ??s wish-list.

â??We probably would be,â? he said. â??Iâ??d be very uneasy with it â?? stabbing the SFL in the back after they looked after us.

â??Iâ??d be very uneasy with it. Thatâ??s only my personal opinion. The SFL have given us a platform to play this season and all of a sudden we get an opportunity to go? It wouldnâ??t leave a good taste in my mouth, thatâ??s for sure.

â??Thatâ??s not to say we wonâ??t do it â?? I canâ??t be more honest than that.

â??But Iâ??d be flabbergasted if anyone from the SPL came to speak to me.â?

There is also the small matter of clubs being legally bound to provide the SFL with two yearsâ?? notice of their intention to leave the organisation.

â??Only in this country!â? said McCoist. â??Itâ??s unbelievable weâ??re in this position six games from the end of the season.

â??Youâ??d guess theyâ??re running out of time. That would be my guess but I wouldnâ??t put my money on it.

â??At this moment I expect to be in SFL2 next season. I would expect Queen of the South to be promoted and I would be hope that happens.

â??[Rangersâ?? head of football administration] Andrew Dickson was at the meeting of the SFL clubs on Thursday and I have discussed it with him at great length.

â??It went the way he expected it to go. The sense of self-preservation is massive, as you can totally understand.â?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/sfl-division-three/ally-mccoist-spl2-plan-a-stab-in-the-back-for-sfl-1-2868468

Ally has been coming away with some poor statements about form but he is bang on when it comes to this topic. He should be spokesman and have a place upstairs. Its refreshing to know Ally is on the same wave length as fans on this, I like his morales.