Leggat - POLICE TO GRILL DALY UNDER CAUTION?

POLICE probing the HMRC leak to BBC Scotlandâ??s investigative reporter Mark Daly, have already spoken unofficially to Beeb bosses about Daly.

But all contact so far has been unofficial and off the record, which means police have not interviewed the BBC big wigs under caution.

However, according to my well placed police source â?? who is a Scot, but is not a member of the Strathclyde Force â?? the investigation is now closing in on Mark Daly.

The highly confidential tax records in question, which were leaked to Mark Daly, were those belonging to David Murray and Murray has already given police all the information he has. Police know the info could only have come from senior HMRC officials, either directly to Daly or via the mysterious person or persons behind the now discredited and disappeared Rangers Tax Case blog.

Two crimes have been committed. One involving the Data Protection Act and a more serious one involving Tax confidentiality.

Now it remains to be seen just what tact the polis will take when they approach Mark Daly. Given the unofficial off the record chats senior officers have had with Dalyâ??s BBC bosses, it is inconceivable that Daly is not already aware of the grilling he faces.

But will the polis trample all over Pacific Quay, as they once did when they raided Queen Margaret Drive? Will computers and any paper work they unearth be carried off?

Will the polis invite Mark Daly down to the station and interview him formally? Under caution?

According to my source, the tactics have not yet been decided on. Indeed, given that the investigation is being overseen by the Crown Office and the Procurator Fiscal, these august learned friends are more likely to make that decision than Strathclyde chief constable, Campbell Corrigan.

Remember, too, that the Crown Office and the Procurator Fiscal are also overseeing the police probe into links between Craig Whyte, his erstwhile lawyer, Gary Withey, plus Duff and Phelps, people.

Jail time will surely be the outcome for at least one person from both probes, which are clearly linked. With BBC Scotlandâ??s Mark Daly at the fulcrum.

Daly was yesterday not only denying my story about him, but casting doubt on the very existence of my source.

Is Daly also denying that he has point blank refused to conduct any investigation into the identity of the now discredited and disappeared Rangers Tax Case blogger?

AND.....

THE hysterical anti Rangers rant in Saturdayâ??s Scottish Daily Mail by McCoist baiter, Stephen McGowan, was the last straw. I wonâ??t be buying the Saturday edition again.

McGowanâ??s putrid style has replaced the stylish but now retired Brian Scott on a Saturday and it didnâ??t take former Celtic View editor McGowan long to put the boot into Rangers.

Remember that McGowan was in the vanguard of those who called for censorship over the identity of the SFA's secret Tribunal and who attacked Alastair McCoist was calling for transparency.

By Monday â?? and I read this in the supermarket â?? his fellow McCoist baiter John Greechan was allowed by Dundee United supporting, Rangers hating sports editor Dougie McRobb, to take another swipe at Rangers on the same subject. Thatâ??s more than a pattern.

Greechan, with no sense of irony or self awareness, screamed his hysteria about how, if anybody asked him not to publish anything, that made certain he would publish it. Which is a fine and noble journalistic principle.

But it is not John Greechanâ??s journalistic principle. For when Alastair McCoist called for the men who sat on an SFA Tribunal to be named, Greechan, like McGowan, had a fit and took the hump. Secrecy, apparently, was his journalistic watchword at that time.