Rangers Supporters Trust statement on re-construction

Essentially, there was nothing we could have wished for back then. By default, we would have started in Divi 3 no matter what. "Our" outcry back then was IMHO more like a shout of defiance towards the SPl-moneygrabbers.

We were conned into believing we were being defiant in a similar way to fast food & soft drink corporations conning people into believing it's sexy to be obese... by a manipulative broadcast media & printed press.

The truth of the matter is that we were shafted like no other shafting before and the worst that should have happened was demotion to the 1st Division, but our fans were manipulated en masse into truly believing that starting at the bottom was the right thing to do.

We were conned into believing we were being defiant in a similar way to fast food & soft drink corporations conning people into believing it's sexy to be obese... by a manipulative broadcast media & printed press.

The truth of the matter is that we were shafted like no other shafting before and the worst that should have happened was demotion to the 1st Division, but our fans were manipulated en masse into truly believing that starting at the bottom was the right thing to do.

Not really, the feeling against us was made clear so rather than praying for dodgy backhand deals or something we wanted to start at the bottom and let them see exactly how well they'd manage without us.

Not really, the feeling against us was made clear so rather than praying for dodgy backhand deals or something we wanted to start at the bottom and let them see exactly how well they'd manage without us.

The media manipulated all of that with key words and phrases to make us believe we'd be getting an easy ride or a backhand deal if we didn't start at the bottom, but the fact of the matter is that we should at worst have been demoted fairly and squarely to the 1st division. We were conned big time.

The media manipulated all of that with key words and phrases to make us believe we'd be getting an easy ride or a backhand deal if we didn't start at the bottom, but the fact of the matter is that we should at worst have been demoted fairly and squarely to the 1st division. We were conned big time.

I dont recall Bears falling for any "key words and phrases".

It seemed to me that the media were saying we needed to be punished and we, as a collective, said "fine, you want sporting integrity then the ONLY way to achieve it is to put us at the bottom".

I disagree that the media hoodwinked us into thinking we would get an easy ride or backhand deal. Rather I think we basically said we would take our pill as it is the Rangers way to show integrity and starting at the bottom would be such a thing.

The media never manipulated anything. The majority of the SPL chairmen never even had the decency to keep quiet and go along to the vote like a proper board meeting, the number that came out and 100% confirmed their no vote about 2 weeks or so before the event mathematically wrote off the chance. Plus we had all the sporting integrity chat and Thompson in particular going on about our lack of remorse, it was a public hanging and all the media did was quote what was said to them.

If there was any way back from that then it would have to have been some sort of backhand deal, in fact it seems some SPLs did assume that the SFL clubs would vote for Division 1.

There was no conning as that would have meant we agreed with all the moral outrage, our fanbase just decided to embrace what was inevitable rather than be on our knees to despicable Rangers haters.

I dont recall Bears falling for any "key words and phrases".

It seemed to me that the media were saying we needed to be punished and we, as a collective, said "fine, you want sporting integrity then the ONLY way to achieve it is to put us at the bottom".

I disagree that the media hoodwinked us into thinking we would get an easy ride or backhand deal. Rather I think we basically said we would take our pill as it is the Rangers way to show integrity and starting at the bottom would be such a thing.

Aye, if I recall correctly there was talk of points deductions for several seasons to keep us as the top flight cash cow.

Aye, if I recall correctly there was talk of points deductions for several seasons to keep us as the top flight cash cow.

That was part of the media campaign and when I was talking about the media campaign, I'm going back further than June/July. The full-on campaign started on February 14th. It didn't take long at all for the media to latch onto discussing how Rangers going into administration was going to be dealt with in terms of punishment.

Anyway guys (you too Craig :D ), I can't prove my point without a whole bunch of quotes from articles last year and I just don't have time to do that sort of research at the moment. There were thousands of mainstream media articles written about us between mid Feb' and July/August, so it would take weeks for me to go through it all and gather up some evidence that led me to believe what I do. We'll just have to leave it at you guys disagree with me and I'm fine with that because I know I was in a tiny tiny minority on this subject last year and the same applies now. Very few fans thought like myself that we shouldn't be getting dumped out of our league and ending up playing in the bottom tier of Scottish football.

Thing is Zappa I don't know how many fans felt we 'should' have been demoted.

I do really think it was more a case of that the decision had virtually already been made and we didn't want the club going and begging for favours from those that wanted us dead or at least as damaged as possible.

Thing is Zappa I don't know how many fans felt we 'should' have been demoted.

I do really think it was more a case of that the decision had virtually already been made and we didn't want the club going and begging for favours from those that wanted us dead or at least as damaged as possible.

It shouldn't have been about going begging for favours or particularly special treatment though, it should have been about what was fair and suitable punishment, but the whole situation was manipulated and us being manipulated into thinking there was no option other than going to the third division was a consequence that was probably anticipated.