Fran Stella for the offski....

NEGOTIATING contract terminations with a number of players, Melbourne Victory boss Ange Postecoglou has begun the rebuilding he hopes will take his side to an A-League championship - if not this year then next.

Victory on Thursday swooped to sign Victorian youngster Francesco Stella on a 2½-year deal. The 21-year-old is among a growing number of players who left Australia at a young age for Europe, failed to make the breakthrough overseas and are returning home to reboot their career.

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-victory-welcomes-a-stella-recruit-20130117-2cw8t.html

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-victory-welcomes-a-stella-recruit-20130117-2cw8t.html#ixzz2IFJKCIVj

The lack of an adequate scouting policy/network probably plays a huge part in that failing.

An Arsenal scout sat in front of me at the Villarreal away game, the information on his laptop was incredible, probably more information on there alone than the RFC scouting network holds in its entirety.

i agree mate, we also have to remember we had a chef/male model negotiating all our contracts as well. our club didnt stand a chance. a chairman too loyal to his managers, a non existant scouting system and a ceo who is more at home in the kitchen. a complete shambles.

i remember a documentary about the ajax youth system almost 20 years ago and within their training ground they had a database of every young player on the planet with information on their strengths and weakness's. that was back in the 90's!

we have such an amazing platform to be successful but we have never had the brains to actually do it.

The "fact" remains that you probably have no idea about the transfer activities of "everyone else" when making such statements. Such bold Rangers bashing would need some serious (as in reliable) examples ... not with regards to Rangers, but "everyone else", which includes Schalke, Sunderland, Fleetwood, East Fife, Liverpool, Lazio and hundred others. Just go on an e.g. Liverpool page and ask them how much money they have spent on utter gash over this period of time and won next to nothing.

its not about opinion, its about facts in black and white. good signings and bad signings, of course they have had a few howlers, every club does, we just have more than most. our two critical levels of debt in the last 10 years is no coincidence. had we been able to work the transfer market, things may never have got so bad.

right now we are signing 1 good player for every 2 bad ones, can we afford to keep doing that? of course we cant. we will end up exactly where we have been in the past.

Our record in transfer dealings over the years has been appalling. As has our record at developing our own talent. A number of our youngsters go on to have successful careers elsewhere. Why cant we develop these players to that stage?

Our transfer record seems to have resulted in us winning a lot of silverware - in what way has it been unsuccessful? Which Scottish club's transfers would you have preferred to ours seeing as they mostly must be better...?

Our worst record seems to be during the Advocaat years where our outlay put us massively in debt for an average trophy return.

I can't remember too many of our youths going to other teams and becoming great - except maybe Gattuso who admits he learned a hell of a lot at Rangers and sees his time here as an important part of his development. But perhaps we should ignore Italian world cup winners.

Hibs have probably produced the highest number of quality players over the last decade but I wouldn't go back and swap our players for theirs...

its not about opinion, its about facts in black and white. good signings and bad signings, of course they have had a few howlers, every club does, we just have more than most. our two critical levels of debt in the last 10 years is no coincidence. had we been able to work the transfer market, things may never have got so bad.

right now we are signing 1 good player for every 2 bad ones, can we afford to keep doing that? of course we cant. we will end up exactly where we have been in the past.

Our debt was around the £20 million mark when Green took over. The transfer value of our squad, many of who we'd bought I'd add, more than covered that amount had we chosen to realise them.

'Things got so bad' because we had a trumped up tax case being pursued by unknown and unaccountable people for reasons that have yet to be clarified, these were then compounded by our charlatan, criminal owner. Nothing to do with player transfers.

You have the oddest view of Rangers of any supporter I know, 1 good player for every 2 bad ones, really? Where do you even begin with that.

Our debt was around the £20 million mark when Green took over. The transfer value of our squad, many of who we'd bought I'd add, more than covered that amount had we chosen to realise them.

'Things got so bad' because we had a trumped up tax case being pursued by unknown and unaccountable people for reasons that have yet to be clarified, these were then compounded by our charlatan, criminal owner. Nothing to do with player transfers.

You have the oddest view of Rangers of any supporter I know, 1 good player for every 2 bad ones, really? Where do you even begin with that.

oops my mistake, i wasnt even talking about that debt. that is a third one! cheers.

replace oddest with "most honest".

that is being kind, we can go through them if you want? one by one. from ortiz to stella. it isnt good reading though.

oops my mistake, i wasnt even talking about that debt. that is a third one! cheers.

replace oddest with "most honest".

that is being kind, we can go through them if you want? one by one. from ortiz to stella. it isnt good reading though.

Oh I don't doubt you are being honest, that doesn't make you right though. Your one eyed hatred is blinding you to reality. Let's got through the list, I thought we were doing 10 years but if it's just Ally's signings then that's cool too.

Lee Wallace - success

Bocanegra – success

Goian - success

Bedoya – didn't play enough matches to judge

Ortiz - failure

M McKay - failure

Aluko - success

Celik - didn't play enough matches to judge

Black - success

Sheils - success

Sandaza – hasn't play enough matches to judge

Cribari – hasn't play enough matches to judge

Kyle – hasn't play enough matches to judge

Faure – hasn't play enough matches to judge

Argyriou – hasn't play enough matches to judge

Templeton – hasn't play enough matches to judge

Stella - failure

B McKay - success

I'm not sure what issue you have with that list. Only 2 on it can be described as failures, Matt McKay and Stella, because they were released and barely played. I'll give you Ortiz who looked very out of place but again he didn't play many games.

You can't judge any player signed this season really, we're barely half way through. But let's say playing 20 matches is a guide, only Black, Sheils and Barry McKay have managed that so far. I'd say each has been a success. I'm no fan of Black but he's got a job to do and seems to do it, Sheils frustrates but he creates things and score goals and young McKay has looked fantastic. But even for those three it's too early to judge them.

As for the others, I'm fairly confident if they can steer clear of injuries Kyle, Sandaza and Templeton will prove astute signings, they've a pedigree in Scotland. At times Cribari looks good, sometimes not so good, the language barrier must be an issue, he could come good or he could become a bombscare, I can't say and neither can you. I really liked Argyriou when I first saw him but he fell away, but again he could easily come good too, likewise Faure.

If you compare our signing's since Ally took over compared to that club on the other side of the city you admire so much they actually stand up very well. Celtic have signed guys you have literally never heard of again and plenty of them.

When you consider what our club went through last season it's a miracle any of our players last season can be deemed a success. This season only one signing involved a transfer fee, all the rest were frees.

Ally McCoist's a fuckin miracle worker when you get down to it.