Aberdeen, Alloa and Livingston chiefs blast Charles Green's league reconstruction

The reason we have 12 is historical and due to greed of the middling teams. I don't think we should have accepted it and how do you kick two teams out? Where would those votes come from in an 11-1 voting system? Scottish football is driven by self interest and never for the good of the game. Rangers recent punishments being a massive case in point.

The problem is we have practically had a 2-10-10-10-10 system since the mid 90s. It wont really matter what the numbers are Rangers and Celtic will always be so far ahead in their leagues. Therefore pleasing everyone is going to be impossible.

But the best option is 18-12-12 rather than 12-12-18 although 20-22 would be my preference with regional leagues below that. I dont see the point in swapping the numbers around to add or take away a couple of teams, the only change there will in name.

The problem is we have practically had a 2-10-10-10-10 system since the mid 90s. It wont really matter what the numbers are Rangers and Celtic will always be so far ahead in their leagues. Therefore pleasing everyone is going to be impossible.

But the best option is 18-12-12 rather than 12-12-18 although 20-22 would be my preference with regional leagues below that. I dont see the point in swapping the numbers around to add or take away a couple of teams, the only change there will in name.

You're absolutely spot-on about 2-10-10-10 - that's the main problem with Scottish football. There is no way any other team can regularly overcome the financial gap created by the vastly superior number of supporters of us and them. By the same argument, wouldn't a 20-22 setup really just equate to 2-18-22 though?

The only kind of solution that's going to suit the 10 make-weights in the current top flight is one where they get to drain the (inevitable, eventual) top two with their leeching, so that the financial gap closes.

At the moment, they have the power to vote through whatever they want - the only way for us to avoid it is to find some way to leave Scottish football.

Agreed.....there is no need to over complicate things (as they are doing). I suggest going with a simple/basic league structure, as you've highlighted, then start concentrating on what is happening on the pitch & how the money is fairly distributed, not how many teams are in the league.

Agree with the above posts larger leagues no bloody splits and playoffs for promotion relegation, give away teams 10% of the home gate and let them keep the money they make on away ticket sales when they come to Rangers and Celtic spread the wealth a bit give teams some breathing space without it being a relegation battle every year.

Good points Gribz! 20-22 would work fine and it's my second choice, but I actually prefer the idea of an 18-24 system. With 18 teams you would only get 34 games in the Premier League, but with cup runs and European games I don't see why dropping down to 17 home games and 17 away games in the league should be a stumbling block. Having a 24 team second tier would also be in line with the Championship down south, albeit much lower standard, but at least the format would be the same and the promotion, relegation and playoff structure could also be copied. With a structure like that in place we would have a solid, no nonsense building block to work on and could start focusing on ways to bring more financial revenue into the Scottish game in order to improve the standard of football and improve the actual stadiums too.