Peterhead chairman Rodger Morrison says Old Firm need to leave Scottish football

AND Peterhead's manager Jim McInally said fans should sue the SPL, SFL and SFA if the proposed set-up renders this season's Third Division meaningless.

SCOTTISH football will never find the right formula until Celtic and Rangers get their wish to play in England, according to Peterhead chairman Rodger Morrison.

Blue Toon manager Jim McInally hit out at the SPL, SFL and SFAâ??s plans to rush a 12-12-18 set-up in time for next season saying fans should sue the bodies if plans go ahead and make this seasonâ??s Third Division meaningless.

The former Dundee United and Scotland star said: â??If this league is made to be meaningless I would be one of many who would be upset.

St Mirren and Ross County bosses back Rangers' Charles Green in league reconstruction

â??If it does happen I would hope the fans would take the SFA, the SPL and the SFL to court as they have paid good money for something that would become a non-event.

â??Supporters are the most important people in the game but itâ??s the TV companies who run it.â?

Morrison backed his boss but he wonâ??t dismiss the proposals until he gets briefed at the SFL meeting this week. He said: â??Itâ??s impossible to square the circle while Celtic and Rangers are still playing in Scotland. Itâ??s not their fault, they just happen to be so much bigger than the rest of the clubs who are hanging on their coat-tails.

â??It will always be the case until they finally get their aim of playing in England. Clubs would learn to stand on their own two feet and youâ??d finally have meaningful games in the top division.

â??I would imagine the fans of clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs would love the opportunity to challenge for the title and for Europe every season and you might see more people going to games.

â??In the meantime we will keep changing the structure to work out the best way to make it work financially.

â??I believe Celtic and Rangers will eventually get their wish. Thereâ??s a lot of politics involved, and not just football politics, as Iâ??m sure Alex Salmond and the home rule camp will be watching with interest. But if Scotland is to be part of Europe there will be legal issues.

â??It will probably be better for Scottish football in general. Donâ??t get me wrong, itâ??s been enjoyable having Rangers in the Third Division and it will be another great occasion when they come here on Sunday.

â??But it has been surreal and letâ??s be honest itâ??s not where they should be.

â??Thereâ??s still something of a novelty factor and itâ??s benefiting the lower-league clubs financially, but itâ??s not doing the game in Scotland any good.â?

Aberdeen, Alloa and Livingston chiefs blast Charles Green's league reconstruction proposals

McInally is angry plans to rush the new structure into place will render this season a waste of time.

He said: â??Apart from Rangers, the Third Division is really competitive and the clubs should be proud of the football theyâ??ve played this season.

â??It should not become a non-event to suit someone elseâ??s agenda. This is an SPL-driven change and the clubs in the SFL should be against it. Iâ??m mad about it. But weâ??ve got to take it on the chin because weâ??re a wee diddy team from the Third Division and no one cares what we think.â?

Morrison added: â??I might not always agree with Jim but we need to listen to guys like him who have been involved in the game for all their lives.

â??But until we meet and go over every detail with a fine tooth comb I canâ??t say whether I am for or against anything.â?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/peterhead-chairman-rodger-morrison-says-1534768