Ricksen offski

Guest ReadyTeddy

I'm sorry but this is just total bollocks. How come we spent 3M in the summer then?

We WILL spend, it's just the amount that is in question. I'm pretty confident we'll have about 4M in the kitty, but that's not actually that much and Le Guen is conscious of not squandering it (despite his spending record so far).

He doesn't want to spend just for the sake of it because once it's gone, it's gone...

He's underplaying the whole thing so we don't get overexited and then annoyed if he can't find the right player and so doesn't spend.

I think that's fair enough.

However, I am very confident that we'll bring in at least one player in January, most likely to be a centre back.

\

I agree whole-heartedly calscot.

However, you have a knack of throwing numbers around, but on what are these numbers based ? They look to me like pure speculation (not a bad thing but should be pointed out). I don't think any of us have any idea just how much there is to spend - we all thought in the summer that there would be a ton of money to spend due to the JJB deal and we STILL don't know if that was the case - it might have been but PLG decided to keep it to find out what his squad was like - but in the same instance it might not have been available - we just don't know.

Where does your 4 mill come from ? 1 mill from Ricksen (I would discount the wages because a lot of them will be used for the replacement's wages) but where does the other 3 mill come from ? Not disagreeing, just curious as to where your numbers come from.

I'm still skeptical! ;)

Whatever, it looks like its boosted the coffers a bit and if we can add that to the funds left over from the summer, along with the savings on the wage budget, surely we should be able to get a half decent centre half in?

Areed, but just out of interest, who would you like to see playing for us at centre half ?

Areed, but just out of interest, who would you like to see playing for us at centre half ?

Someone who is commanding, can organise defenders around him and isn't afraid to put his head or foot in when he knows its going to hurt. Someone suited to the Scottish game who is a no-nonsense type of player.

\

I agree whole-heartedly calscot.

However, you have a knack of throwing numbers around, but on what are these numbers based ? They look to me like pure speculation (not a bad thing but should be pointed out). I don't think any of us have any idea just how much there is to spend - we all thought in the summer that there would be a ton of money to spend due to the JJB deal and we STILL don't know if that was the case - it might have been but PLG decided to keep it to find out what his squad was like - but in the same instance it might not have been available - we just don't know.

Where does your 4 mill come from ? 1 mill from Ricksen (I would discount the wages because a lot of them will be used for the replacement's wages) but where does the other 3 mill come from ? Not disagreeing, just curious as to where your numbers come from.

My numbers are total speculation, I don't know how much we got, but I do know we have something which means we WILL spend.

It has been mentioned by DM and PLG many times that the manager did not spend all the money available to him. Reading between the lines, I don't think they would have said that unless the balance was significant - I interpret this as at least 1M.

He spent about 3M net in the summer so that makes his original budget at least 4M. However that sounds pretty low to attract a new manager and I think 5M would be more believable, especially after the JJB deal. In fact I wouldn't be surprised that if the transfer budget was directly paid for by ring-fencing the JJB money for the duration of the contract. Plus any fees for players sold.

I would also expect him to have been told that he would get more in January depending on transfer fees coming in and how we did in Europe. We have 1M for Ricksen to add to the kitty and as we've qualified for the next round I suspect that could bring in at least 1M more - maybe 2M.

That to me gives a minimum of 4M in the kitty without being too optimistic and perhaps 5M - but it IS speculation, and I'm pretty sure he won't spend it all, preferring to add it to the postulated 4M from JJB in the summer - plus whatever else we earn from the second half of the UEFA cup.

My numbers are total speculation, I don't know how much we got, but I do know we have something which means we WILL spend.

It has been mentioned by DM and PLG many times that the manager did not spend all the money available to him. Reading between the lines, I don't think they would have said that unless the balance was significant - I interpret this as at least 1M.

He spent about 3M net in the summer so that makes his original budget at least 4M. However that sounds pretty low to attract a new manager and I think 5M would be more believable, especially after the JJB deal. In fact I wouldn't be surprised that if the transfer budget was directly paid for by ring-fencing the JJB money for the duration of the contract. Plus any fees for players sold.

I would also expect him to have been told that he would get more in January depending on transfer fees coming in and how we did in Europe. We have 1M for Ricksen to add to the kitty and as we've qualified for the next round I suspect that could bring in at least 1M more - maybe 2M.

That to me gives a minimum of 4M in the kitty without being too optimistic and perhaps 5M - but it IS speculation, and I'm pretty sure he won't spend it all, preferring to add it to the postulated 4M from JJB in the summer - plus whatever else we earn from the second half of the UEFA cup.

Thanks for the clarification calscot.

I agree with your numbers and, if anything, could be on the low side. I am not sure if I want us to significantly change the playing squad in Jan again anyway aside from the obvious need for a centre half. We won't catch Celtic anyway IMO and I still think we are strong enough to finish 2nd with what we have. the UEFA Cup is also very much a pipe dream (call me a pessimist). Jan is usually a poor transfer window with more quality available, for some reason, in August.

I won't complain though if PLG brings in some high quality players in Jan - but as long as we strengthen during the next pre-season. If PLG has a full season under his belt he will have a very good knowledge of the Scottish game, what is required, what his squad is like and where it needs strengthened - he will also fully appreciate the expectations from the fans.

I always said the 2nd season would be the one to judge PLG and still hold that feeling - I think sometimes that the excellent brand of football that we played in the first few games of the season made people believe that the team had turned the corner overnight - false dawn if you like....

Next season I expect us to be challenging for all the domestic honours and with a decent run in Europe.

Someone who is commanding, can organise defenders around him and isn't afraid to put his head or foot in when he knows its going to hurt. Someone suited to the Scottish game who is a no-nonsense type of player.

Exactly, but i was wondering if you had anyone specific in mind,names,:thup:

I'm sorry but this is just total bollocks. How come we spent 3M in the summer then?

We WILL spend, it's just the amount that is in question. I'm pretty confident we'll have about 4M in the kitty, but that's not actually that much and Le Guen is conscious of not squandering it (despite his spending record so far).

He doesn't want to spend just for the sake of it because once it's gone, it's gone...

He's underplaying the whole thing so we don't get overexited and then annoyed if he can't find the right player and so doesn't spend.

I think that's fair enough.

However, I am very confident that we'll bring in at least one player in January, most likely to be a centre back.

It was just an off the cuff remark i hope it's bollocks as well.